Right click issue

When I right click I get a menu called shortcuts. But when I select an option like I get a error stating failed to execute child process. No file or directory.

Right click error

Hmm… Which version of Lubuntu are you using? If you don’t know, then you can run lsb_release -a in the terminal and post the output as a reply.

I am using 20.04.4 The lsb_release reports no LSB modules are available. though lab-release and lsb-base are installed

Did you fresh install Lubuntu 20.04? or release-upgrade from 18.04?

In the release notes it was stated rather clearly

Note, due to the extensive changes required for the shift in desktop environments, the Lubuntu team does not support upgrading from 18.04 or below to any greater release. Doing so will result in a broken system. If you are on 18.04 or below and would like to upgrade, please do a fresh install.

as what you’re describing here is that sort of breakage that is unsupported and was to be expected as per the release notes. Your configs aren’t that from a supported system as date from an LXDE release.

I’d suggest you fresh install your Lubuntu 20.04.4 system, after you backup your data of course; as release-upgraded systems are unsupported; having many manual configs like you’ve just discovered needing to be manually fixed.

It was a fresh install of Lubuntu

lxsession-defaults can be found in /usr/share/lubuntu/openbox/ files (menu.xml & rc.xml) from package lubuntu-default-settings as the openbox config text wasn’t changed…

Can you provide a link as to what menu item you’re actually using… I had a quick look around, and I can’t find where you meant by

as it’s not something I’d obviously use.

Apologies for accusation of unsupported upgrade

1 Like

This is what pops up with a right click on the desktop.
Right clip menu

That picture shows a LXDE menu. Lubuntu doesn’t use LXDE, and we don’t support it.

Lubuntu has used LXQt since 18.10, and we’ve not supported LXDE since Lubuntu 18.04 LTS reached EOL back in April 2021, and we only supported LXDE on Lubuntu releases which were up to Lubuntu 18.04 LTS.

LXDE is now pure-upstream Debian packages, using deprecated GTK2 code. Do note Debian doesn’t use openbox by default; with openbox config changes by Lubuntu now being made to match LXQt which we now use. I did confirm LXDE still works in focal or 20.04, but that was some time ago and my exploration wasn’t extensive (as we don’t support it).

For LXDE I’ll suggest generic Ubuntu support options; though you’re welcome to use the off-topic section of this web site, but you’re seeking help from a smaller audience (most of whom don’t use LXDE & haven’t for years).

2 Likes

I gotta, I did a fresh install since all this is my fault for playing package install. There are a few LXDE packages I assume LXQT does not have these packages. Lubuntu uses theses instead which are LXDE based.

xl-menu-date
libmenu-cache-bin
libmenu-cache3

Is there a menu editor that will not harm LXQT? I was shocked to see discover installed though. Works well but I never though it would be installed on a LXQT system. it seems so buggy on KDE.

Night
Dave

LXQt is Qt5 based; just as KDE is (though KDE uses features from KF5 which LXQt doesn’t).

Plasma discover, even with it’s requirements of KF5 is still far lighter and more efficient on a LXQt system when compared with any GTK3 package tool.

In my own usage of Plasma discover, it’s about equal to others in my opinion and I’ve had few issues and seen no more bugs filed against that apps when contrasted with other alternatives. I’m not a big user of them though, as I tend to search & install packages via commands, or if I need a package manager to be used interactively I tend to use ‘aptitude’.

The packages you mention though including libmenu-cache-bin libmenu-cache3 however are not Lubuntu packages, eg. look at libmenu-cache-bin and you’ll see it’s maintained are Debian LXDE, yet contrast that with say lubuntu-default-settings where you’ll that is maintained by the Lubuntu Developers.

I don’t see a xl-menu-date package; but did you mean lxmenu-data?

Two of your listed packages will be found on our/Lubuntu ISOs & thus in our manifest as they are depends requirements of openbox-menu and lxqt-panel where you’ll note here they are optional with LXQt, but do help speed up the menu of LXQt, and Lubuntu has opted to use them (as have Debian).

yes it was lxdata. I discovered where the LXDE menu is from. by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Desktop Preferences than click the advanced tab below the visible short cuts for there is a window manager. If a user clicks that box and apply than the that s when the LXDE menu is active. maybe this is a throw back from LXDE days?

2 Likes

I can confirm dave67’s exact results. (was a 20.04 fresh install. lsb_release -a gives 20.04.02. )

either
$ pcmanfm-qt --desktop-pref=anything
or
Preferences > LXQt settings > Desktop > Advanced

Show menus provided by window managers when desktop is clicked

When enabled, pcmanfm-qt defaults to the openbox menu in
usr/share/lubuntu/openbox/menu.xml

dave67 is right, it is a ‘throw back’ to the ‘good ol days’.

So should Lubuntu hide this option ?
Or make use of it by replacing the menu entries ?
e.g
I replaced lxsession-default calculator with kcalc and it works.

(btw = somebody was asking in another topic about putting in user entries for right-click menu, I actually think he meant this menu, and not the file-manager menu). So this is a solution, if he meant that.)

2 Likes

I use this computer that has Lubuntu installed to evaluate Linux distributions. There were many on this PC. Most reviews center on what’s new not what functions on a distribution. My main Linux OS is Linux Mint but I regularly test lightweight distributions. My friends tend to have older systems.

1 Like

main@linux:~$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

For those who have the shortcuts menu when right clicking. go to configuration center click on desktop than in the pop up window click advanced tab than Desktop Preferences there is a window manager heading below that Uncheck the
“Show menus provided by window managers when desktop is clicked” till lubuntu removes this option.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.