Password at Boot time

When installing lubuntu, I forgot to uncheck the box so that it would boot up without me having to enter a password. Is there some way I can remove this requirement without redoing the installation?

Sorry, it was the other way around: I forgot to check the tick box labelled “Log in automatically without asking for the password”
Same question; can I change this without starting from scratch and re-installing?

You can try:

sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d/
VISUAL=featherpad sudoedit /usr/lib/sddm/sddm.conf.d/autologin

And add the content

[Autologin]
User=USERNAME              # <== Replace USERNAME with your user name e.g. fausto (the name shown in the terminal)
Session=Lubuntu.desktop
Relogin=

and save the file.

I did not test it.

Some links:

Thanks I found a similar suggestion here
https://code.luasoftware.com/tutorials/linux/lubuntu-enable-autologin/
I tried it using admin and now my system won’t complete the bootup. I guess I’ll just re-install…

If there is no user admin, why should it work if you set User=admin?

Instead of reinstalling, you should try to fix your error:
Press CTRL+ALT+F5
Enter your username and type the password (no * are shown).
After login, execute

sudo nano /etc/sddm.conf

and delete the wrong line. After that simply reboot to start the system again.

Sorry, I did not know about CTRL+ALT+F5 , which I take it gets me a command line/terminal shell
That’s the trouble with learning Linux from the internet. The pages are often not relevant or out of date or both AND I often don’t know the right question to ask or even understand the language when used in a Linux context.

I just thought - how can I fix my error if it won’t boot up?
The re-install is done. Thanks anyhow.

If you had created a user with password not configure SDDM.
If you had created a user without password is possible configure SDDM.

The password configuration not is in SDDM.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.