No network access on 1st gen SurfaceGo after installing 20.04.1

Wireless worked in Win10; when I wanted to install 20.04.1, I followed MS instructions & couldn’t boot from external drive directly so I followed the instructions to install from windows & now have this problem.

What does that mean you “followed instructions to install from Windows?”

Also, what about the Ethernet question?

I followed these instructions:

Start from the USB through Windows

If you’re having trouble starting your Surface with the bootable USB, you can try booting through Windows. To do this:

1. Insert the USB drive into the USB port, and then select Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery.
  2. Under Advanced startup, select Restart Now.
  3. On the Choose an option screen, select Use a device > USB Storage.

I’ve always run on a wireless network & don’t have an ethernet cable to connect to the lone port on a SurfaceGo.

Weird, ok, never heard of that, but I don’t do Windows.

I’d go get an Ethernet cable if I were you because the solution to this is most likely going to mean you downloading things.

How will an ethernet connection help me solve this problem?

As I said, it will likely take downloading to get this fixed. So unless you want to do it on some other machine and move it over with a USB, perhaps several times over, I’d go get the cable. They’re cheap and they’re good to have around.

I’ll get a cable, so what will I have to download to get this machine working?

The first step which hopefullly solves the issue without hassle is to follow the suggestion about installing proprietary drivers that @That_Random_Guy guy gave.

If not, as he suggested, it’s going to be a mire to wade through.

Thanks, this is why I hope to wean myself off of Windows. Enjoy your evening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SurfaceLinux/comments/9t53gq/wifi_fixed_on_surface_go_ubuntu_1810/

is this the model?

1 Like

Yes; thank you Noumeno. I will try this & let you know if it solves my problem. Enjoy your day.

Hello Noumeno,
I downloaded the board.bin file from the killernetworking website to this computer with internet access (ASUS netbook) & copied it to a thumbdrive which I used to transfer the file to my non-working SurfaceGo. I opened a terminal to follow the instructions in the article & when I tried to copy the board.bin file I got the following message: cp: cannot stat ‘home/danp/desktop/board.bin’ : no such file or directory. Any idea why the board.bin file that I copied to the desktop on my SurfaceGo isn’t recognized? Thank you.

If you look in the file manager or terminal, you’ll notice the “D” in “Desktop” is capitalized. Linux is case sensitive.

Thank you; I’ll try again & go uppercase on the D in desktop.

BTW, does case sensitivity carry through all of the elements in a string?

I mean case sensitivity is case sensitivity, so yes. XD

For example, you can use the diff command to compare two files and if you use process substitution in Bash (which is the shell you should be using by default), you can substitute a command in place of a file. If there’s no difference, you get nothing back. Otherwise, you’ll get an output that won’t make a lot of sense, but it will show the differences.

So this returns nothing:

diff <(echo "blah") <(echo "blah")

But this shows a difference:

diff <(echo "Blah") <(echo "blah")

Thanks; this is good stuff!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

My thanks to all of you who pitched in to help me solve this problem. I followed the instructions in the archived article provided by Noumeno & am connected to my network. This message is being sent from my SurfaceGo which didn’t work without your help. Thanks again.

5 Likes