No ethernet on Raspberry 4 - Lubuntu 20.04

On the Pi the Main user also has admin rights but it’s weird that these errors occur, in fact, I went as far as creating another user and mirrored the privileges on my Lubuntu desktop and still same deal.

I went to all this trouble because I refuse to use Raspian (the official distro for the Pi) because is not, in my opinion, as polished and pretty as Lubuntu, for now I’ll keep using this limping version of Lubuntu on the Pi just for giggles.

I would normally be inclined to just try it out on my own Pi but I don’t have a 4. I have tried it on a 2 and a 3 with much success, so I don’t know. @kc2bez don’t you have a Pi 4?

Could it be a bad install? I’ve seen all sorts of weird issues happen due to download/copy errors of the initial installation media. Did you run the self-check upon booting it? I know it runs automatically in the desktop flavors and would expect it to be the same on server…

I have a 3 and a 4, last year tried it on the 3 and same problem (loaded 19.10), I figured was the Lubuntu version, so I waited for the new version (20.04) but, same deal.

Maybe you have the anti-Midas touch :rofl:

All jokes aside, perhaps it how you did the install? Whenever I’ve done it, I just accept all the defaults.

I have a pi3b+. I didn’t have a network problem. I had some issues with SDDM though in 19.10. I haven’t had a chance to check since 20.04 has been released.

Yes, I’m known for breaking things.

And no, I don’t think is a bad install, the image is clean, straight from the Ubuntu site, burns perfectly and installs without a hitch, in fact like I mentioned on my first post, after Lubuntu is installed is absolutely beautiful and fast (same on the 3 and 4) just those little things spoil the fun.

I will say that a single bit of difference could result in something that appears to work in nearly every aspect but has the occasional unexpected problem. It is common to have download/copy errors, regardless of where you download from. Unless you made sure to perform an integrity check, that is a possible issue.

Yes, same here, all the defaults, just like the instructions on the Ubuntu site, I always like to get everything vanilla and default until I’m sure the installation is solid.

Yes, the image passes the integrity check.

Something else to look into is this script from the Mate flavor lead https://github.com/wimpysworld/desktopify
You may need to convert from netplan to network manager.

3 Likes

Oh wow I never thought that netplan could somehow be incompatible with the desktop configuration. Jeez.

Hmmm, I’ll give that a shot.

DUDE!!! that worked!!, now the tray is reflecting the connection properly.

Now I need to figure out the permissions issue and I’m golden (assuming I don’t discover any other problems, there’s another problem with video but for now that can wait).

A heap of thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.