Lxqt-admin-time DOES NOT LIST ALL TIMEZONES

Lubuntu 20.04.3 LTS, with kernel 5.13.0-41-generic.

Dear Lubuntu Support,
This is my first query, so I hope I am following the correct rules. I searched for any topics containing timezone and lxqt-admin-time, but cannot find a similar topic, so I am raising a new one.

If you enter this into a Terminal:
timedatectl list-timezones | grep Canada
you see 8 results, including Canada/Yukon, for example.

If you go to
Lubuntu Preferences - LXQt Settings - Date and Time (or run lxqt-admin-time)
then select Timezone, you get a shorter list that does not include Canada or Yukon.

I know I can use the command line to set timezone, eg.
datetimectl set-timezone Canada/Yukon

But I am wondering why lxqt-admin-time does not show the same list? Perhaps this is a bug? Perhaps I am misunderstanding the use of lxqt-admin-time?

Thankyou very much.

1 Like

Welcome!

If you check the results from Lubuntu Preferences - LXQt Settings - Date and Time - you will see the Continents listed (and not the individual countries) and under America the Canadian cities are listed i.e. Halifax,Toronto,Thunder_Bay,Vancouver,Whitehorse etc…

All of the following time zones are the same as Yukon time:

Coordinated Universal Time -7 (UTC -7)
Greenwich Mean Time -7 (GMT -7)
Mountain Standard Time
UTC -7 Yukon
Whitehorse
America/Dawson
America/Whitehorse
Canada/Yukon
Arizona
2 Likes

Thankyou very much Leo, that helps. I had searched for Edmonton, Alberta, Montreal, Calgary, Saskatchewan, and “Mountain”, none of which gave a result. But the cities you mention are right there, and I will know what to do next time. I had presumed that the Ubuntu system behind the scenes operated with a standard set of place definitions, as shown when you run “datetimectl list-timezones”. But I will now look a little more carefully through each Continent to locate timezones. Yukon was just one example, I have devices around the world in different locations.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.