LXQt 1.1.0 is available for testing now on Lubuntu kinetic (22.10)

For details of LXQt 1.1.0, please refer to the release announcement, as it includes many improvements and changes.

Testing

Download a daily and test. You can install the system on a spare machine if you have one, or just use it in a live session without installation. If you don’t have a spare machine, a VM will work too. All testing is welcome.

Lubuntu member David (KGIII/uninvolved) has written about his own beta testing here on linux-tips and it’s worth a read.

Getting the download

You can download the Kinetic Kudu daily build here.

Recording the results

To record your testing, you’ll need a Launchpad/Ubuntu One login. Go here to create one if you haven’t already got one.

To look at all teams testsuites for jammy, though our install testcases can be found here, and the primary ISO and QA testing tracker can be found here. Please note we aren’t yet ready for recording kinetic results on our own checklist yet, but they are recorded on the iso.qa.ubuntu.com website. We’ll start recording on the testing checklist later in the development cycle; right now our focus is finding issues in the new LXQt 1.1.0.

Our normal behavior when we run a QA-test install is to use the “Install using Calamares (entire disk)” testcase, where in the Comments section we use the first line to briefly list hardware used, the second line has an entry describing the testcase tested, like

Lenovo YG SL 7 14ITL05 i5-1135G7,16GB,Intel Iris Xe,WiFi, 512GB M2NVMe SSD
testcase: full disk, encryption, secure-EFI, no-internet, no-swap

which highlights it was a full disk, encryption, Secure uEFI without internet and no swap; matching a testcase found on our checklist. This test performed by Lubuntu Council member Leó Kolbeinsson. The second testcase line can be just copy/pasted from our checklist.

Another example is from Lubuntu member David/KGIII

MSI Modern 15 (Intel Core i5-10210U, Intel UHD, 32 GB RAM) .

How you describe your hardware is up to you, I get details from sudo lshw roughly in format

“Make model (cpu, ram, gpu)”

so my lenovo thinkpad x201 will show as

lenovo thinkpad x201 (i5-m520, 4gb, i915)

If you need help making sense of the testing checklist, then this wiki page may be helpful.

Reporting bugs

Follow the directions in the testsuite. If it does all of those things, great! If it doesn’t, we do need your help. Please file a bug on your testing box, and record the bug ID in the Bug (or Critical Bug) section in the iso.qa.ubuntu.com page when complete.

Follow the directions in the bug report, and be as specific as you can. This is a key step - an unreported bug will be an unfixed bug. For details on reporting bugs please refer to our wiki page and don’t forget to include the bug report number in the iso.qa.ubuntu.com test report.

Questions?

If you have any questions, appropriate places to ask are of course, our discourse site or for faster responses please ask on IRC (#lubuntu-devel) or via our telegram channel

Testers can also chat live on IRC (#ubuntu-quality) or telegram (Ubuntu Testers).

Please note tests that complete okay, with only minor issues should still be PASSED, but the bug ID reported in the “Bugs” section. If you consider it a show-stopper bug, record it in the “Critical bugs” section (failing the test if you believe absolutely necessary).

Thanks!

Thanks in advance to those of you who can help, and please reply on discourse with any issues, concerns, or questions!

ISO and QA testing tracker - http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/433/builds

ISO testcases can take as little as 30 minutes to complete (including filing a report on the iso.qa tracker), and whilst we have only a single testcase for installs on the iso.qa site, we have an expanded checklist you can see at https://phab.lubuntu.me/w/release-team/testing-checklist/

5 Likes

Please note, my smoke-test before making this thread public involved only LXQt 1.1.0 itself in a live session of Lubuntu kinetic (using the latest daily).

Simon (tsimonq2) had posted here about a new calamares being available for us to test, and due to ISO build issues over the last few days, that got less QA-testing than is usual; thus problems may be experienced relating to the installer, and I request you refer to

https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/calamares-3-3-early-preview-please-test/3382/2

You don’t need to install to test LXQt, or if you’re already using a kinetic install and have kept your packages updated & have logged out in the last day or so, you’ll find you’re using LXQt 1.1.0 now.

Thank you for everyone who is helping test both LXQt, calamares & any parts of our beloved Lubuntu.

5 Likes

Been testing LxQt 0.17 1.0 and not 1.1 and when screen blanks in Lubuntu it still has the same bug where the process monitor fills up with lxqt-config-monitor entries: multiple lxqt-config-monitor processes · Issue #745 · lxqt/lxqt-config · GitHub

too old version sir :joy:

was meant to be *now. currently using 1.1.0 and still same issue.

very strange situation , I install version 18.10 & 20.04 but with 18.10 staying always like this :wink:

I saw this mentioned on reddit and had a very brief look for it on two boxes; one running Debian bookworm (d780) & my primary box (d960) running Lubuntu kinetic, and responded on reddit.

I did not re-create it on either system, but noticed on both when the box was suspended, around 100 extra processes appeared I described as kernel related in my reddit reply, which when given some little time got cleaned up by the system and get cleaned up.

If I just lock the screen (screen blanks is how you refer to it here) I don’t see any of the behavior I mention, but either way my very brief testing on this single box (& a similar Debian box) did not replicate it.

If I do a QA-test install of kinetic today, I’ll endeavour to have a look there for it; as my primary & Debian systems are rather modified as I use them (esp. this Lubuntu box!). Had the bug been reported on launchpad, we’d have looked for it sooner.

Notes: My Debian bookworm is running the same LXQt version that was in the upstream Lubuntu 21.04 bug filing. The box references are noted just for me

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: LXQt desktop not allowing new apps