Lubuntu wont boot: Failed to start detect available GPUs and deal with any system changes

Hi, im using Lubuntu 20.10. Yesterday i installed virtualbox from then when i start lubuntu it says “Failed to start virtualbox web service” and after few seconds system boots and everything works fine. But now below that it says “[FAILED] Failed to start detect available GPUs and deal with any system changes” and its stuck it wont boot. help.

Im using HP Pavilion dv5.

You is using virtualbox latest version ?
what is the GPU ? is using proprietary drivers ?
Have enough system memory available ?
Have enough disk space in virtualbox machine snapshot folder ?

I thought it was a problem with virtual box so i went into recovery mode, root shell, and uninstalled virtualbox from there. I have a lot of free system memory, im not using proprietary drivers, GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT.

try install proprietary drivers for your Geforce card and install latest virtualbox

I’m a little baffled at this one but perhaps most confusing is the original post. I read it like so:

• Lubuntu 20.10 is installed
  • After that, VirtualBox is installed
  • Upon rebooting, there is an error about a VirtualBox web service, but then the system boots and everything is fine
  • Upon rebooting, there is an error about GPUs and it won’t boot

Those last two are contradictory, it seems. So I’m a little confused as to what to say.

Looking on AskUbuntu, there’s a whole hoarde of different issues that come up with that error. Several were determined to be hardware problems. Of the others, it’s kind of a random selection of possibilities:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/990279/ubuntu-hangs-on-boot-after-blackout-detect-the-available-gpus/1062900#1062900

I fixed it, i was looking for the fixes on the web and everything consisted of lightdm as a display manager to be the problem, but lubuntu 20.10 uses sddm. So i went to root shell in safe mode and installed lightdm from there, restarted and everything worked fine. Thanks for help i thought there is no fix for this.

If it’s the display manager, maybe simply reinstalling sddm could have done it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.