Lubuntu on hybrid laptop

I really like Lubuntu. I want to use it on my laptop, but it’s a hybrid laptop. I would like to ask if there is a solution for this to keep the system working properly? Sometimes it crashes. I saw the optimus manager on archlinux, is there a similar program here to help you manage your hybrid laptop? Am I thinking this problem and how should it be solved? My laptop is Dell Latitude 3550.
As much as possible, I stick to Lubuntu because it’s simple, so I wouldn’t switch, just because my laptop is hyrid. I use a browser, mailer (trojita is perfect for what I need), I listen to music, I watch movies, I use openoffice. Thanks!

When you say “hybrid” system, do you mean you have both Windows and Lubuntu on it?

Also, can you describe what happens when you get the error you’re getting? Does something show up on the screen? Does it simply shut off randomly?

Can you confirm for us where you got your download (for Lubuntu) and which version of Lubuntu you’ve installed (e.g. 20.04.1)?

It has Windows and Lubuntu on dual boot. But it’s not a “hybrid system,” it’s a hybrid laptop, which means there are two video cards in the laptop (intel and nvidia). I know, for example, that Manjaro can manage the two video cards with software called optimus manager. Error: The boot process stops at the login screen. Since I love Lubuntu, would you be interested to see if there is a solution to this under Lubuntu?
20.04 is installed from lubuntu.me.

I can look around to see if I find anything. My laptop only has Intel graphics so I won’t be able to experiment on my own device but someone else might’ve run into this as well. If I can find something to help, I’ll post back.

@balubuntu
Ok, I think I found something after going around weird places.

Apparently the Optimus thing on Arch/Manjaro is based on something Ubuntu has called Nvidia Prime.

The package is called Nvidia-prime and you should be able to install it via Apt from the terminal.

Since I haven’t been able to test this myself and since I don’t know if it works well or not, I wanted to suggest trying this with a LIVE CD of Lubuntu first before actually putting it on your system but I don’t think that’s how it works.

I’ll keep looking at it but I think that’s something I’d try first.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am definitely interested in some solution.

hello,

I also have a hybrid hardware:

Satellite A660 intel i5, Nvidia 330M, 4GB RAM

I wanted to report a problem and a solution (sorry if my words aren’t accurate cause i am french).

First I will describe the problem,
Secondly I will give you the solution (not really satisfying)
Thirdly I will explain what you can maybe do!

The problem is simple. I can run on live and install lubuntu iso 18.04.0 18.04.01 and 18.04.02 (i didn’t try an install for the later) but if I make all update recommended by “update manager” (“gestionnaire de mise à jour” in french) the computer crash just after log in (mouse dead, alt+impr/syst+another key doesn’t trigger anything). The only solution was to press the alim button until hard shutdown.

With Lubuntu 18.04.03 the computer crash when i try to restart from the live usb.

I tried the Lubuntu 20.04.01 iso and it crashed on normal start and work on live with low graphic option but after install the system wasn’t recognize and my computer was going back to the drive selection screen of the bios.

So I installed 18.04.01 and i selected each update one by one and rebooted after each update. until i find the one that trigger the crash after log in. And it is all package described in synaptic as linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-24-generic and linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-117-generic.

So my question is what logs should i give and what can i do to compensate this loss (i understand it have something to do about encryption)?

Sorry for this monstrous post but i am on it for 4 days and sleepless night!

I have not researched your Dell Latitude 3550, but …

Linux should run reasonably well with Intel video right out of the box. Linux also generally does very well with the Linux Nvidia driver, probably version 345 or 390.

You can actually install the ubuntu-drivers utilty via the command line
sudo apt install ubuntu-drivers
and let it help with finding and installing Nvidia.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.