Lubuntu Latest Release issues

When trying to upgrade to the newest release i am getting the following error, I have set aside 150 GB of storage for my VM, but I am still getting an error.

Dot enough free disk space 

The upgrade has aborted. The upgrade needs a total of 2.638 M free 
space on disk '/'. Please free at least an additional 576 M of disk 
space on '/'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of 
former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.

when I run the following code i get this

df -h

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            3,9G     0  3,9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           794M  1,4M  792M   1% /run
/dev/sda1        24G   21G  2,0G  92% /
tmpfs           3,9G     0  3,9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5,0M     0  5,0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           3,9G     0  3,9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           794M  8,0K  794M   1% /run/user/1000

What is the issue, why can I not update?

2GB free space is not much disk space if what you’re trying to do is release-upgrade to a later release.

The free space is required to

• download all .deb files prior to install (for new Lubuntu/Ubuntu release and additional deb apps that change due to release change)
  • expand deb files and install them
  • on final competition, the space used in prior processes is returned where possible.

Myself; if I don’t have at least 5.5GB of free space, I’m very concerned when it comes time for release-upgrade, I’d not even attempt with only 2GB of space free… but the space we need will vary on what packages and how you use your system. Myself I tend to bloat my systems somewhat heavily with additional packages (and not just use what Lubuntu provides on a new install).

You mention 150GB (done on your HOST OS I suspect), but I don’t see how that relates, as you allocated 24GB it appears when you installed (running in the VM itself), and if you’ve since increased space available on the HOST, the VM won’t use it until you tell it too.

Your issue with operation of VMs I suspect (I don’t know what virtualization software you’re using as you didn’t specify). If you change a setting in HOST OS to increase space, you must tell your VM software to expand itself to use that space (resize partitions etc)

I agree with what @guiverc suggested but I think you should file a bug because that math is clearly wrong.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. However, I am not sure what to do next. What would you suggest I do? How can I research how to do this myself? Can you provide more details on what my next steps should be? Personally, I would like to upgrade to the newest version of Lubuntu, but it won’t hurt if I don’t. I am using Parallels Desktop for my VM, and I am not sure why it is saying it has allocated 24GB when I set it to 150GB in my settings in Parallels. Could it be that it does not know that I have more free space? Why? I would appreciate any more clarifications.

I don’t know your virtualization software, so I won’t comment about it.

My guess at what you did was say if using Oracle virtualbox, you at first created a disk of 24-25GB for use by your VM, then installed Lubuntu on it… Lubuntu would use all the space available as seen at time of installation.

If you later decided you wanted the VM to have more space, you can change the settings on the HOST OS & allow the VM to have more space; however those settings are not known to the system installed on that VM; as it allocated all the space available when the installer ran.

If this was a real machine, I’d boot a live system (ie. insert Lubuntu install meda & use the Try mode) and re-size the Lubuntu system to use all that space. If I was using a VM on virtualbox I’d do the same, ie. tell the VM to boot live media by pointing it to an ISO file, run it, then re-size the installed system (installed within the VM) to use all the available space, then reboot the VM & test.

ie. I consider what I’d do no real hardware as pretty much the same as a VM, except when using the VM there is no insertion of an actual thumb-drive etc… it’s just settings done on the virtualization software instead (ie. my using Virtualbox on the HOST OS). If your virtualization software has other options available to it, sorry I don’t know.

Thank you for the help and support !!

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.