Lubuntu crashes back to login screen when using web browsers, installed in virtual machine

Spiral Linux offers their images in 7 different desktops, including LXQt. There is an 8th image offered called “Builder” which is for more experienced users who want to build onto it and configure to their preferences.

They also made it easy to switch from Debian Stable to Debian Testing with only a few check boxes. I installed Stable in two VM’s, then switched the second to Testing.

None of the VM’s crashed last night, after flipping the RAM amounts in the video section of the XML files, ‘ram’ now at 512 MiB and ‘vram’ now at 64 MiB. Maybe this resolves the crashes???

As you may recall, I am a future user of qemu/kvm. Not an expert yet :grin: I know VirtualBox :blush:

Scope of VirtualBox is different. Hardly anything to tweak. And why should you? It is mostly used for one, or two VM’s with a frontend. If you need to run a ton of headless VM’s on a (one) server, it is a good thing to tweak and squeeze, and use qemu/kvm.

Considering this it seems you have an interesting use case. Keep me posted!

The disk used for virtual media disk is an BTRFS partition ? If yes BTRFS use cow file copy having slow disk performance.
Try start the machine with virtual network cable disconnected.

Gents:

I have had problems with FF crashing and leading to GUI “freeze” several times over the last possibly few years . . . . I probably filed a bug report about it at some point, but I don’t believe a “causative factor” was established. My install is “bare metal” . . . . As a “side note,” ubunutu hasn’t used a swap partition in quite a few iterations . . . they use a swap file instead.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.