Lubuntu 20.04 - Taskbar missing

Hi, i just have a problem right now.

I have done a mistake by deleting the taskbar instead of a icon in my taskbar.

So now, i’m stuck and i cant get back that taskbar.

1 Like

do a Ctrl + Alt + F4 for example

Delete $HOME/.config/lxqt/panel.conf

Ctrl + Alt + F7

then login

5 Likes

I had no idea that that worked.

Something new for my text doc of things learned along the way. Thanks!

3 Likes

Note that will get you the DEFAULT. It won’t reflect any changes you may have made before deletion.

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s what I’d expected for the behavior, that it’d return to the default. I keep all that stuff backed up so that I can just restore it, but knowing that it recreates if it was deleted is good. I had no idea that it’d do that.

I hate to admit it, but I’ve hosed my taskbar so badly that I reinstalled as I’d not yet backed it up. If only I had known…

Pretty much everything I know about Linux is from books, trying stuff, and breaking stuff - and I’ve been using Linux for quite a few years now!

3 Likes

I think that’s how it is for all of us, frankly :wink:

3 Likes

When I say that I’m gonna add this information to my Linux text file, that’s actually dozens of text documents that I’ve saved and filled over the years with more and more information.

What I’d like to do is to find a way to organize all that information. I’d like it to be quick and easy, but that’s not going to happen. Then, I can just upload it all somewhere and be done with it, only adding more information as I go.

In hindsight, I should have started that a from the start. But, as they say, hindsight is 20/20.

Ah well… That’s also a topic for another thread, instead of derailing this one too bad.

2 Likes

Do you think it would be easy to edit the config file and just recreate whatever object was missing or misplaced or is it just easier to delete and recreate the custom config via GUI?

I don’t know why but i don’t find the panel.conf under $HOME/.config/lxqt/…

• (I don’t know if it can change something but i use my Lubuntu as server remotely with Xrdp or/and SSH)

Sorry to ask a stupid question but you realize that $HOME is a reference to ~ i.e. your user’s home folder, which, in the event your username was docnaze, would be /home/docnaze, right?

1 Like

if you have knowledge you can edit it, my example was the most radical

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.