Lubuntu 20.04 on a laptop that doesn't support UEFI?

Hello

I’m trying to install Lubuntu 20.04 on an HP 6910p laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz CPU (x86-64) and 4GB of RAM. I’ve downloaded the Desktop 64-bit install ISO but can’t get it to boot. I think this is because my laptop doesn’t support UEFI. Is there an x86 version that I can install?

I’ve been around https://lubuntu.me/downloads/ a few times but can only see the Desktop 64-bit version, unless I go back to 18.04. The Ubuntu 20.04 downloads page seems the same. So maybe my laptop is just too old to run 20.04?

Thanks
E

I tested Lubuntu 20.04 LTS on >10 c2d boxes, mostly dell but also some HPs (no HP laptop though; lenovo etc only)

• hp dc7700 (c2d-e6320, 5gb, nvidia quadro nvs 290)
  • hp dc7900 (c2d-e8400, 4gb, intel 4 series integrated i915)

When you downloaded the ISO, did you validate it as per the manual instructions?

https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1.1/retrieving_the_image.html

In my experience the write to your install media is the most common failure, so if it doesn’t boot on one device, I walk it to another box & do the validation on that box. If it fails on both boxes, I usually declare it a bad write (ISO to media), though if I find that hard to believe I have on rare occasion tried booting & validating it on a third box (if it’s dead if it won’t boot on a third box either)

I’d verify your ISO, and then the write to your install media. Did you write it correctly? (as per the manual for example).

2 Likes

I can assure you all Ubuntu flavors of 20.04 support legacy BIOS (non-UEFI). Faulty stick maybe?

3 Likes

I’m right now writing this on an HP 6910p running Lubuntu 20.04 and it works wonderfully. It’s my favorite laptop.
There are two flavours of 6910p, one with basic Intel graphics and one with Radeon graphics. Both run well with 20.04.

First, you need to set up the BIOS (F12 during boot).
1: Select Multiboot to enable boot sorting.
2: For boot devices, set CD as first, USB as second and HDD as third.
3: Save and exit.

Burn a DVD with the .ISO image. This does not mean just copying and burning the .ISO file as it is. You need a real DVD-burning program like Rufus. Select “dd mode” for burning.

Now you should have a DVD with 12 files/directories, the first being “.disc”

THIS is a bootable DVD, and will boot reliably on the 6910p any time.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.