Lubuntu 19.10 fails to set grub on installation

I have an existing Fedora 31 which I was considering replacing with lubuntu. I installed lubuntu to a separate partition ( on a new SSD drive ) and told it to use the old HDD to install Grub.

The installation procedure ended without problems and invited me to restart. I clicked “Done” in the installer ( which did not tell me it was going to reboot the system - I thought Done from the installer mean: done with the installer ).

It got stuck in a loop on a “stop-job” which seems pretty stupid on a live DVD, so I finally lost patience and powered off to regain control.

I now reboot to the usual fedora grub menu with no presence of my new lubuntu installation.

Why is lubuntu not installing grub as indicated and not even reporting that it failed.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I would not have powered off, I’d likely have switched to a text terminal to see what your box was doing, and see if I could at least work out what the problem was (is it a concern? or glitch? did you validate your download or write to media? or was the install flawed due to squashfs errors?). Even if you couldn’t find the cause; I’d have told linux (kernel) to shutdown safely using magic SysRq keys to ensure no errors were introduced, and any memory/data in-memory was flushed to disk/ssd and not corrupted through power-off/reboot.

Anyway, to make your fedora 31 grub look for your Lubuntu system I’d suggest having it update it’s grub (It needs to be told to look for changes made in other OSes, which it will eventually discover when it gets it’s own kernel upgrade triggering this process, but why wait). The command is

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

First of all, the Grub on Fedora is special, because Fedora tries a new way to create the config file.

And then, the path of the config file depends on the installation mode: BIOS or UEFI.

You should post the following infos about your system:

sudo parted --list
sudo efibootmgr -v

Thanks, I was looking at the boot console text that’s where I saw “stop-job running”. I’m used to live images doing irrelevent stuff when shutting down, like umounting the DVD then complaining it can’t find some system file … it was probably some pointless job like shutting down the firewall or some other service which makes no sense in this context. I let it run long enough that any earlier writes would have been flushed.

Yes, I can use Fedora to fix the Grub installation but that’s pretty lame. The point was to report that lubuntu is not doing this critical part of the installation.

I’ve seen other reports that *buntu takes out the Fedora entries and userps the grub menu, meaning Fedora users wanting dual boot need to do a grub2-mkconfig as you suggest. In this case it did not even manage that much.

I’ve installed twice , once to HD and a second on a fresh SSD. Both times it fails to set up grub.

Grub is installed to sda along with Fed31 and lubuntu root partitions are on sdb and the SSD is sdc.

The initial failure was before I connected the SSD, so just sda sdb online.

Hmm, I’m wondering whether there is some BIOS inversion going on where hd0 gets mapped to sdb and vice versa.

Bingo!

The second SATA disc was set as top of “hard disk boot priority” in BIOS.
If I revert to the “natural” boot order, I do get the lubuntu grub menu which includes a correctly booting Fed31 entry. ( Nice ).

So it seems that there is a bug in the installer here. The interface said it was going to install on /dev/sda and install lubuntu on /dev/sdbXX as I configured its root partition during “personal” partition layout.

These two ended up referring to the same physical device.
(NB this is not an EFI system)

Where is the proper place to post lubuntu bug reports?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.