Login screen freezes when correct password is applied

I’m unable to login to my user account my laptop only has one user and when I try apply the correct password on start up it freezes, the mouse still moves, the clock in the corner of the screen is frozen as well and when I leave the computer alone it will go into hibernation mode.

ran a live instance and checked my SSD with gparted everything says the hard drive is fine but when I reboot to try again it’s the same result…

• Hardware

Late MacBook Pro 2008.

• Operation system

Lubuntu 22.04

The last thing I did was install a update in terminal “sudo apt update” I ran out of space on my SSD while applying the update, noticed this went to clear it and when I checked to see if everything was cleared my SSD showed that I still had zero space left… it was then I decided to restart to see if everything was fine and I’ve been locked out of my laptop because of the freezing ever since.

If you have no space in $HOME or your user directory, you can have problems with a GUI or desktop system. You mention space issues, thus I’ll suspect that’s your issue.

You can switch to text terminal (CtrlAltF4 etc) then login and explore & fix space issues via deletions of files etc.

If you space is limited the system can appear frozen but its just ultra slow due to lack of disk space necessary for correct operation, and will speed up once you create the required space.

There can be other reasons for a slow system too, including lack of swap and more, but I’ve concentrated on disk space here as that is a cause you mention that can result in what you describe, thus I’d correct that first using the text terminal.

2 Likes

Tried ctrl,alt,f4 it’s been 20 minutes and the screen is blank I can hear the fan running but that’s it.

Gparted said I had 4gb of space left by the way, this is after I ran a system check.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The system is telling me you’ve tagged your last reply as a solution, thus as its a ‘solved’ thread it was closed. Is this true? (or should I re-open it?; if you want it re-opened you may need to PM or private message me). Your last message doesn’t read as if its a solution to me.

I got the same problem like him: Login screen freezes when correct password is applied - #2 by guiverc

I have a old Windows laptop and everything worked fine with Lubuntu. Just 2 days ago I wanted to start it and it freezes after login. I only installed two games before that happened. I’m unable to login to my user account my laptop only has one user and when I try apply the correct password on start up it freezes, the mouse still moves, the clock in the corner of the screen is frozen as well

Please help fast.

Thanks

2 Likes

Change with CTRL+ALT+F5 to another non-graphical tty and login with your user credentials.

Then check if you have enough disk space:

df -h
df -i

Don’t know why my post got marked as solved the problem is still occurring

1 Like

I tried messaging guiverc but I’m not allowed to for some reason, maybe because I’m on mobile?

Ctrl+alt+f5 didn’t work I restarted and tried all the keys but after about 30 seconds my laptop booted up like normal. Sorry to hijack your thread btw but since I can’t message any one and we have the same problem I figured I’d come here and chat.

1 Like

Thanks, I just saw this & thread has been re-opened, and threads merged. I don’t know why you couldn’t PM me, but we’ve got there in the end (alas still with the problem to be solved now)

FYI: The original question also appears here now too - boot - Lubuntu freezes during login attempts - Ask Ubuntu