Live usb system update

Is there a way to update the live usb system to keep the updates and other changes that a user makes?
As I find some space ( approximately 1.9gb) left alone in the installation medium.
I have tried to update the system and most of the packages have been updated except a few in the live system. But none of them remain in the next boot.
I am talking about persistency of usb similar to one I use in primary storage.

The default ‘live’ media is a squashfs/RO file-system which has security benefits, allowing you to test a clean system, make changes (all in memory) then install if it looks good. It’s not intended to be used in a persistent manner.

You can write the default ISO to a persistent drive (I’d use mkusb myself so I’ll provide its wiki link), though in the past I’ve also installed flavors (like Lubuntu) to a thumb-drive so they operate more or less like a normal system (only slower as thumb-drive writes are slower than hdd). I was happiest with the install (to thumb-drive), but it took slightly longer to setup.

This is brief & imprecise, I haven’t used either for years…

2 Likes

It is possible with 1.9gb, but you might soon fill that space, and the persistent live mode stops working when the partition for persistence is full. So I would recommend that you use a bigger drive, if you want a good experience. See this link. Scroll down to the notes about speed and size.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.