Kernel at 21.10 release date already at EOL

At the time 21.10 was released by Ubuntu, the 5.13 kernel was already at End of Life, per http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2109.2/03883.html

May I ask why it’s still being used?

Upstream, the kernel may not be supported; but Ubuntu supports the kernel for the life of 21.10 (don’t forget that kernel will be used by 20.04 LTS users using HWE when they upgrade to 20.04.4 as well).

All security fixes are back-ported to it by the Ubuntu Kernel team, with the kernel always chosen as they consider it the best available, for supporting the life-cycle of the product (ie. contrasting the work of back-porting more fixes to an older kernel; vs. a newer but shorter-life kernel).

If you want to ensure fixes are applied to Ubuntu kernels; there are many sources/links you can use. I’ll use an example the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, the latest issue being published only recently, which isn’t limited to just that topic, but it’s easy for me as I’m involved with its production/publication so know it well.

If you use the prior link and scroll down, or use this you’ll get a list of security fixes that are applied, being applied by the Ubuntu Kernel Team, ie. many of which maybe back-ported fixes from later kernels.

(if you don’t want to look; one example is which was the first I clicked on which is “Cherry-pick upstream fixes to prevent double engine loading”)

All Ubuntu flavors use the upstream Ubuntu kernels, which are maintained by the Ubuntu Kernel Team, with security checks performed by the Ubuntu Security Team.

They are safe & secure; which is why I use them.

4 Likes

Can I install a kernel.org kernel with apt?

1 Like

With apt you can install .deb packages. If there is a packaged upstream kernel, you can install it.

If the kernel is not correctly configured and/or patched, you introduce more bugs.

4 Likes

Hmm… If I wanted to play around, mostly safely, with a newer kernel, I’d do it with this:

https://github.com/bkw777/mainline

I’ve played with it in the past and have suggested it (with good reception) to others. It’s pretty straightforward and you likely have a multitude of kernel choices.

I’d also suspect that using an unsupported kernel means you’d no longer be eligible for support via official channels. I’m just guessing. Maybe someone else will add more info or a correction.

Anyhow, in my experience that application works well enough. It does carry some risk but you can usually boot to a good kernel and fix it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.