Just a suggestion

A to-do list after installation for Lubuntu, as in the following link,x would be useful: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/first-mint-cinnamon.html
sorry it’s a mint link the Ubuntu link that I have is in dutch.
find also a page for ubuntu: https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/speed-ubuntu.html

Perhaps you should tell the author to create one? :slight_smile:

Good idea but I don’t know who the author is.
As you may have read I am a real computer dummy and a list after installation is certainly welcome. I think it is also very useful for new linux users who choose Lubuntu.
By default there is no fierewall installed and I installed the UFW firewall as recommended in Ubuntu and Linux Mint.
For the time being I have just installed LM cinnamon again and will place Lubuntu next to it to find out something. So you can use some things from the Ubuntu and LM list but when it comes to extra or better software you can not do much with it since they are written in gtk and not in qt.
The programs written for qt and kde usually have a different name. I am going to do my best to sort out and adjust command lines for Lubuntu, so I can already make a preliminary list and if I have any doubts I will first ask for information here.

Sorry for my bad English. For any complaints, please contact Google Translate :grinning:

I mean I guess for me that list of things to do is kind of silly because everyone’s got different needs. We try to cover the basics, which works well for most people.

If I made a list for me, it would include things like Tor, tmux, mutt, a tiling window manager, and a bunch of other things lots of folks don’t give a hoot about.

Let’s take your firewall example: it’s not installed by default in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu! You know, the distro that seems to have everything and a couple extra kitchen sinks installed in it, too. So if it doesn’t have a firewall installed, why would you expect that a distro based on it but known for being lightweight would?

1 Like

That is true, but, for new linux users and / or people who do not know much about computers, a list to set up the system optimally is indispensable, I speak of experience. With good to do after installation list, many more people will stay with Lubuntu and more newcomers will be added, which is why distros with such list are also the most popular. Lubuntu is a top system, but if a system is not optimally set, something can go wrong faster

But what is optimal? It depends on the individual.

@Kurt, do you mean a list that could give a converting ex-Windows-user a list of applications one typically uses as a pure user, such as email, internet-browser, and so on?

Just trying to understand the question.

What I’m about to mention won’t add much to the conversation really, but I never understood the precedent for leaving a system without a firewall enabled, Linux or otherwise (this is not directed towards you and I’m about to go on a tangent so feel free to ignore me). While it’s true most people at home are kind of protected by their consumer-grade routers… not everyone is exactly doing the same things at home with the same conditions/equipment/connections. While this may give more incentive to let traffic from the host come and go willy-nilly (e.g. when troubleshooting/testing), this is typically a bad security posture.

Yes, perhaps the way Linux boxes can become compromised is different from Windows, but that doesn’t really make the case when people don’t really know what they’re doing (which can happen). One would think that when they’re enabling services and ports on their box that they’d be aware but you can never be guaranteed that. Because of this—and because we cannot always assume people will be safe behind their particular gateway (i.e. they can be at a coffee shop, bad actors in LAN, vulnerable network device)—this pretty much only leaves the vulnerable box to fend for itself… thusly having no defense in depth enabled.

Last I recall, Ubuntu (and by extension Lubuntu) do come with iptables… idk what the community consensus is on this but I always took it for a low level firewall that the kernel uses. Someone else can elaborate on that if they want but I know it serves at a minimum for what people seek from a firewall. UFW is supposed to be a front-end for iptables based on the little reading I’ve done on it in the past as I also wound up enabling that on some boxes. The problem is that while iptables exists, it doesn’t come with any rules enabled by default in Lubuntu.

Personally, I think having rules that closely mimic what UFW defaults to makes sense to run for first-time people or at least by default. I can understand people’s aversion for this given how people don’t like how Windows and its firewall behaves when it blocks valid stuff but I don’t really consider that a valid argument. I can also see people not liking having to whitelist/unblock their particular traffic just to try their app or whatever is they’re doing. However, no active security is usually bad security… doesn’t matter what you’re running.

The question of course becomes… what should people run by default? If people can decide on what a reasonable office suite and or media player to include in Lubuntu by default… I’m sure they can figure out something like a firewall. Whether or not something like UFW makes sense to include by default, IDK. Whether it makes sense to enable some basic iptable rules that mimic UFW, IDK. Personally, I don’t find it an incredible hassle to enable what I need to keep my boxes secure. However, I don’t like assuming people will always do what’s best for their setup correctly while maintaining a good security posture. Yeah, no one can ever guarantee that but at a minimum they can be protected to an extent from causing damage to their system. I’m sure people will always think that people who use Linux are usually going to be the more technically inclined folk (and that’s probably true) but just because you can run through an installer, it doesn’t suddenly make you an all-knowing being who knows 100% of what their system does behind the scenes.

TL;DR:
Anyway, I doubt I’ve convinced anyone since as it was pointed out, Ubuntu also doesn’t come with UFW and they’ve likely had people other than me argue for something like it to be enabled. Oh well. I much prefer deny by default and allow by exception but maybe that’s just me being paranoid. :laughing: