Java control panel location in lubuntu (also, an obscure minecraft issue)

I’ve successfully installed lubuntu (primarily for gaming) as a dual-boot OS on my (terrible) laptop. I’m very new to linux, so I don’t really know how to diagnose certain problems on my own, aide from just googling. I’m mostly satisfied with lubuntu, especially the improved performance compared to windows (though the inability to limit the CPU speed is causing severe overheating issues when playing). There is one issue I’m running into however; minecraft runs decently enough, connects to the internet, but refuses to connect to multiplayer servers. That’s not hyperbole, it actually uses the phrase “connection refused” in the error description.

In my investigation of the problem, I’m repeatedly told to use the “Java Control Panel” to fix issues like the ones I’m having— however, it appears that there is no Java Control Panel on my system, or else I can’t seem to find it. Nothing in the applications list, application menu, or anywhere I would think sensible in the file system. All the information for how to find and/or access it in ubuntu/linux is from years ago —mostly stackoverflow answers from around 2014–2017— then abruptly stops getting mentioned at some point afterward. I do have the default java version installed —I did that before installing minecraft— and everything appears to work fine besides these aforementioned issues.

Is there a Java Configuration Panel installed by default with java in lubuntu? If there is, how do I find it in the current year & version? Additionally, would anyone here be knowledgeable enough with linux minecraft issues to solve whatever esoteric complication is preventing it from connecting to any multiplayer server while still able to connect to the internet for all other operations? I’ll go into more detail if requested, but I’ll stick to just the first issue (that’s more pertinent to this forum) unless someone thinks they might be able to help.

You’ve not mentioned what Lubuntu release?

Are you using the latest stable release (ie. Lubuntu 23.04 or the 2023-April release), or something different?

Ah, latest stable, not the most most recent, sorry. I keep forgetting that there’s two versions, or else I would’ve specified.

1 Like

The latest stable is 23.04 or the 2023-April release.

Please be specific; the prior stable release of 22.10 being the 2022-October release hasn’t much supported life left.

FYI: I’m using Lubuntu mantic which is the current development or unstable release. Ubuntu is a stable release OS, with all released products being stable.

My current mantic will be released as Lubuntu 23.10 when it reaches stable (it’s still classed alpha grade currently). All releases (excluding alpha/beta) are stable; though some releases (the first in an even year) have longer supported lives and are thus LTS or long term support releases.

Because the website claimed it was recommended for most users, I chose to download the 22.04.2 LTS version, as it said it would be supported until April 2025. I mistook the newest newest release as less stable because of the recommendation on the site. Do you think this would cause the issue? Is there an easy way to update to that new version without losing all the customizations I’ve made to the interface?

1 Like

Both systems are stable. In technology the oldest release is usually seen as the most-stable due to it being used for longer, and thus (at least in theory) has had more thorough testing, especially by users in production (or real life usage).

Lubuntu 22.04 LTS will have more users, as a large majority of the user base want to perform release-upgrades less often thus prefer the years offered by LTS, as against the 6-9 months for non-LTS releases. Also many 3rd party packagers support only LTS releases (their work has a longer life with those releases) which again keeps using using the LTS.

My asking for clarification was purely so we know your software stack details, ie. what OS & especially release is known.

FYI: You’re using an older LXQt, which you can upgrade to a newer stack via Lubuntu backports, but that should only impact the GUI/desktop you use & not what interests you (ie. not impact minecraft/java).

Sorry I don’t use Java, and haven’t used minecraft, thus you’ll have to wait for help from others as to your actual issue. I will state a Lubuntu 22.04 LTS system is still a Ubuntu system (we’re just using a different GUI/desktop with some app changes), so most solutions/apps that work with Ubuntu 22.04 LTS should work too with Lubuntu (inc. other flavors)

1 Like

I see :0 Thank you for the clarification! Sorry for the small confusion. I do hope I’ll eventually find out how to configure java without resorting to… trying to blindly change the settings via terminal.
*“kitchen nightmares waterphone” sound effect plays*
That I’m really not looking forward to, if that’s what has to happen. I’m still not quite at that stage of familiarity with linux yet :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.