Issue of locale setting (Traditional Chinese) when installing Lubuntu 22.04.01

In the newest 22.04.01 LTS version, I got a exclamation mark during installation when the system automatically detected my area and chose “Traditional Chinese” “lzh_TW”. The information is
“Warning: No translation found for languages (“lzh_TW”, “lzh”)”. After installation, the Lubuntu desktop is in English mode, and even if I changed the language in the “Locale” setting to “Traditional Chinese” “lzh_TW”, several (but not all) of the texts in Apps or icons remained in English instead of Chinese. What’s more, every time I upgrade an application, I got the following messages

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
        LANGUAGE = "",
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_TIME = "zh_TW.UTF-8",
        LC_MONETARY = "zh_TW.UTF-8",
        LC_COLLATE = "zh_TW.UTF-8",
        LC_ADDRESS = "lzh_TW",
        LC_TELEPHONE = "lzh_TW",
        LC_NAME = "lzh_TW",
        LC_MEASUREMENT = "zh_TW.UTF-8",
        LC_IDENTIFICATION = "lzh_TW",
        LC_NUMERIC = "zh_TW.UTF-8",
        LC_PAPER = "lzh_TW",
        LANG = "zh_TW.UTF-8"
    are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

I don’t remember I have such an issue when installing Lubuntu using
the 22.04 LTS iso file, but for unknown reason the old 22.04 iso is no longer available everywhere. I wonder if this is a bug and could be fix in the future upgrade? Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Looks very similar to this.

2 Likes

Sounds like an installer bug. I will try to reproduce this and help fix it.

When you installed from the original 22.04 ISO, did all of the application names display in Chinese? Knowing this may be helpful.

If you need an original 22.04 ISO, you can still download it from the Internet Archive here: Lubuntu 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)

3 Likes

Dear Arron,

Yes. I have confirmed that this issue exists on 22.04.01 only. When installed by 22.04 iso, all the applications display correct Chinese and no warning has been reported during the installation.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.