HP Pavilion Touchsmart 14 help with install

Hello all! I am new to Lubuntu and Linux as a whole. The reason I am starting my journey with Linux is that I recently had a scare with my daily driver laptop that runs Intel i7 8th gen hardware. I was lucky to be at a friends house with another computer near by to trouble shoot and getting it going. It ended up my ram went bad. Anyways, it got me thinking that I need a backup computer to troubleshoot anything down the line. The laptop listed in the title is the one I need help with Lubuntu on. If you bother to look at the specs of the old one, it runs an AMD A4-5000. Before I got here, I replaced and doubled my ram and upgraded to a SATA SSD and installed a fresh version of Windows 10. It was still sluggish at best and almost slower than before without the power cord in. I figured weak battery, so ordered a new one. Nope, so then I figured this would be better because it seems optimized for old hardware.

Sorry for the long back story, my problem that I need help with is when I booted it up from safe graphics, it ran through a file system check (ctrl + c tp cancel?) I figured it was fine. It finished doing that and it told me it ran into one issue. Then the screen flashed and now I am stuck at a blank screen. A screen almost identical to when the mobo is running POST. As I write this, it is still stuck in this screen.
The version of L that I am trying to boot is 20.04. Thank you in advanced!

If it reported a problem was detected in the media integrity scan then you should not install from it. 99% of the data is in a single squashfs file, so any errors are significant and mean the media should not be trusted. It’s either the data is corrupt, OR the checksum/validation program itself is corrupt (meaning you can’t trust the data anyway); ie. don’t trust it.

The manual page https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1.1/retrieving_the_image.html gives details on verifying the ISO before write to media; me I’d suggest you return to that step (ie. re-verify your ISO is perfect), then if it’s good, re-write to your installation media (usually a thumb-drive).

In my experience it’s the write to media that fails most, but I still think it’s best to re-check everything.

It’ll take hours-weeks of slog to fix any problem that can be fixed in seconds-minutes via returning to the prior steps; ie. a waste your time in my opinion.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.