How to snap windows?

I’ve been trying to search for ways to snap windows to the left and right. I find this to be a important aspect of window management for me. Is there a way to add this feature that I haven’t been able to find?

Have you tried super+arrow ? (listed in the example right at the top of https://manual.lubuntu.me/F/keyboard_shortcuts.html) or do you mean something different?

what I understood you to mean by snapping is referred to as resizing in the Lubuntu manual, being openbox terminology I believe

Ah. I don’t mean to navigate desktops but to split desktop screen real estate between two programs. Keyboard shortcuts that flush windows to one side or the other. I dug around more and it seems like this is an ongoing issue because of the lack of compiz integration (which would burden the lubuntu ness)

It’s not necessarily the lack of Compiz (a window manager), but the fact that the window manager (Openbox) is somewhat limited in its abilities, primarily because the author long ago considered it a finished product. It hasn’t seen changes in a long time. Though I’ve seen few bugs in it, it certainly hasn’t kept up with the times. Snapping is a relatively new thing.

That said, there is sort of a way to get at it. Change ~./config/openbox/lxqt-rc.xml so that something like the following is included:

<keybind key="W-Left">
    <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/>
    <action name="MaximizeVert"/>
    <action name="MoveResizeTo">
        <width>50%</width>
    </action>
    <action name="MoveToEdge"><direction>west</direction></action>
</keybind>
<keybind key="W-Right">
    <action name="UnmaximizeFull"/>
    <action name="MaximizeVert"/>
    <action name="MoveResizeTo">
        <width>50%</width>
    </action>
    <action name="MoveToEdge"><direction>east</direction></action>
</keybind>
<keybind key="W-Down">
   <action name="Unmaximize"/>
</keybind>
<keybind key="W-Up">
   <action name="Maximize"/>
</keybind>

That uses the Windows and arrow keys to do the dirty work, but in 19.04+, you’ll run into conflicts with lxqt-globalkeys using the key to open the menu, so either disable that, reconfigure that, or use something other than the Windows key here.

1 Like

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge, wxl. It helps the whole community. I’ve copied your excellent post to a file I keep on LXQT.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.