How to install Lubuntu on Rasberry Pi 5

Dear Community,

I was searching the forum and the net but wasn’t able to find any suitable information. I would like to install Lubuntu on my Raspberry Pi 5 but I’m not able to find a suitable image to download. Can s.o. point me to the right direction where I can find the necessary information?

It is a little bit annoying that on the startpage of lubuntu.me the Raspberry Pi is referenced as a supported plattform and then no further information seams to be available…

thanks for your support!

We haven’t had an unofficial pi image in many releases, and have never had an official image for the pi (official means it was created on Ubuntu infrastructure).

A page on this site relating to Pi installation can be found, Raspberry Pi installation but that only covered Pi’s 2 thru 4.

I’m not aware of anyone on the team having a Pi 5, plus time to test & write documentation on getting it running there sorry.

1 Like

Desktopify project of Martin Wympres is discontinued. This and your response indicates that there is no Lubuntu support for the Pi at all.
Wouldn’t it make sense then to delete any Raspberry Pi references on the startpage?

1 Like

That has been discussed, but a consensus wasn’t reached. Maybe this post will help change that (the hope was that we’d get time/volunteers willing to help get a Pi image back again, for some Pi models even if not all)

1 Like

Interestingly, the official Raspberry Pi Imager works with ISO files, too. I’ve just written Lubuntu 24.04 LTS for Raspberry Pi 5 with it to an old CF card using lubuntu-24.04-desktop-amd64.iso.

Alas, without having a Raspberry Pi I can’t explore further.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t boot I’m pretty sure; the raspberry Pi is arm64.

2 Likes

I would assume with the Raspberry Pi Imager it would b possible to create an Ubuntu Arm image for the Pi and then install LXQT as 2nd DE to it. But this is what I would like to avoid as it also installs all the GTK dependencies.
It would also be possible to install the Rasperry Pi OS lite w/o DE and then install LXQT. This would give me a clean LXQT install but is based on Debian Bookworm with relatively old LXQT version…

Why would it be a second DE?? If you start with a Ubuntu Server, then any installed desktop would be the first desktop; which is what the desktopify did (see prior links; add desktop and some other minor changes like adding wifi as the Server image assumes ethernet only)

1 Like

You are right, didn’t think about it to start with the Ubuntu Server version. Will give it a shot…

1 Like

Using Ubuntu server and then installing Lubuntu works on Raspi’s I’ve done it and it works.
I don’t like Raspian, and Lubuntu is awesome on the Pi.

6 Likes

Sounds great. Could you be more specific with the steps you did? Guess many will appreciate it. Thx.

2 Likes

Easy, just install the Ubuntu server and then at the command prompt install the lubuntu-desktop, you can follow the steps to install Ubuntu Server from the Ubuntu website, then after all that you can tweak your Raspi.

I’ve done that a while ago on several Pis.

1 Like

Actually I wonder if Raspberry Pi Imager isn’t the right solution here. That’s what the official documentation seems to suggest.

With regards to server, they only offer general ARMv8 downloads, right? Would that even boot on a Pi?

1 Like

Either way is fine, I think I tried the imager once, but I did it manually and it works, the ISO was for the ARM processors.
Like I said, I did that a while ago, but it works.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, the reason I did it manually is because I wanted to install Lubuntu, the imager installs that awful Ubuntu desktop manager if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Yes that is correct. And using the imager you can select Ubuntu Server 24.04 for your Pi device.
I have tested this for Ubuntu countless times and works well.
As others have mentioned you can then install the Lubuntu desktop.

2 Likes

I still wonder why people (in general) do want to install Lubuntu’s LXQt, or any other DE, other than the default supported by the platform, on such a RPi device.

The family of Raspberry Pi’s are a phenomenon in its own right. Cheap, with increasing performance with every new generation (and price tag as well). Their unique selling point is the gateway to outside (all those GPIO pins).

If you want a low cost device, with low energy consumption as well, you can find other devices (on ARM) which are better suited for desktop usage.

For many traditional home automation tasks (like monitoring your home temperature, watering your garden or opening your garage door) another breed of smaller, more reliant and more suitable systems have been invented.

Perhaps for a NAS the RPI’s will remain a good option. But as desktop?? Really…

1 Like

Just been able to install it. Unfortunately the approach via Ubuntu Server failed. Tried it twice, first via Tasksel second approach directly via “apt install lubuntu-desktop”

In both cases I wasn’t able to get the display manager to run. Boot got stuck and had to switch to another console. Upon starting display manager manually I got error messages.

cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager returned error message: no such file or directory. Realized it was empty, so I maintained it manually. Then when trying to start SDDM manually I got error message that it failed to read display from pipe.
Did a reconfigure of SDDM, also tried with additional display managers, still no success.

To cut a long story short, I installed full blown ubuntu and installed lubuntu-desktop and KWin manually. Now I have what I wanted to avoid, a bloated setup, but Lubuntu runs great!

1 Like

Well, I was and am a bit negative with this subject (as often) . But, since you seem to be very happy about it, may I ask you what the bill of materials has been? What components did you buy to get your system up and running as you like it (RPi5, some kind of disk and interface, power adapter, etc).

Hi Fritz,

I don’t perceive you as negative. And if the RPI5 is suitable as desktop depends of course on someone’s requirements. My main machine is a 11 year old Aspire S3 Laptop with i3 processor and 4GB of Ram. The only update was a SSD. I runs it with Manjaro LXQT and it’s running quite decent for my homecomputing needs. Even with KDE Plasma it runs great. The PI is, according to Geekbench, twice as fast as my laptop, so performnace wise fast enough for me.

In regards of my setup I have nothing special. Just bought a complete starter kit with 32Gb microSD card, housing, 4 separate small passive coolers and power adapter. Network is connected via LAN and all of my Data is stored on my homeserver.

A faster USB stick to increase booting speed and a housing with active cooling would make sense as upgrade. I will also test if the power supply from my USB monitor is able to support my office laptop and the PI in parallel to get rid of the separate power adapter.