How to install Lubuntu 20.04 on USB from USB that contains live version

Dear all,

I installed the Lubuntu live version on a USB stick using Startup Disk Creator. Next, I would like to install full Lubuntu on another USB device (or SDD), using the live version. I did the following:

1. I disconnected all the hard drives and the DVD drive in my (desktop) computer.

2. I booted the computer with the USB stick that contains the live version of Lubuntu 20.04.

1. I inserted the USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on. Then I double clicked on the Install icon on the desktop and started the installation procedure.

2. When arriving at ‘Partitions’ at ‘Select storage device’ I selected the USB stick which I would like to install Lubuntu on: Voyager GS - 117.6 GB (/dev/sdb) .

3. At ‘New Partition Table’ I checked 'Master Boot Record (MBR).

4. At ‘New Value Group’ I did nothing.

5. I double clicked on ‘Free Space’. A windows open: ‘Edit Existing Partition’.

6. As ‘Partition Type’ I choose ‘Primary’. As ‘File System’ I choose ‘ext4’. I checked ‘Encrypt’. As ‘Mount Point’ I choose ‘/’. At ‘Flag’ I checked ‘boot’ and ‘legacy-boot’ (my computer is at least 10 years old, a HP dc7900). Then I pressed OK.

7. At the bottom of the screen I choose 'Install Boot Record of Voyager GS (/dev/sdb).

8. I went through the rest of the installation procedure until the computer was going to be rebooted. I removed the ‘installation medium’ when it was asked for.

9. Then the computer tried to reboot, but alas! There was not any medium found from which the computer was able to boot.

My first question is: is it even possible to install (‘non live’) Lubuntu 20.04 on a USB stick? Or am I trying to do something impossible?

If it is possible, my second question would be: how exactly can you do this?

Best,

Wilbert

Hello @heeringa - I think this straightforward method might not work due to the fact how BIOS is recognizing disks to boot from. I recently made myself a “persistent live” USB disk out of Ubuntu (any flavour works really) and this allows you to boot from USB and then modify that instance to your liking and the changes would persist after reboots.

I used the below article, it explains beautifully the BIOS and UEFI logic and explains the procedure of creating such live USB using a tool called MKS USB.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

Cheers,
Andy

2 Likes

Thanks Andy for sharing this solution.

When you rebooted with just the USB with the installed Lubuntu, your computer UEFI/BIOS probably needed to have the USB device designated as the boot device.

Burning a Live installer with persistence is different from installing to a USB FROM a burned Live installer.

make two partition in your usb disk. then burn one partion with lubuntu and then you will be able to install lubuntu in another partition. Then if you want just delete the burnt partion and resize existing partition.
I think it will work.

There are even Youtube tutorials out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Q11rZV9Ww

However personally I do not recommend this if you are using Windows 10 as the main OS on your PC. In Windows 10 you can only boot from USB with Shift+Restart button. So it would be a pain in the ass. If you want Linux on your USB and you still need Windows on your PC then you should switch to Windows 7 as your main OS. That way you can easily boot Lubuntu from your USB.

I still was not able to fully get rid of Windows unfortunately due to a trading app that I use… Though soon they will have an app for Linux as well so I will then get rid of Windows for once and for all.

Sorry, but that is complete nonsense.

1 Like

Really? Show me a way to boot from USB (not from SSD but USB) on a Windows 10 computer without first launching Windows. (I will be happy if you show me a way to do that, however many ppl left Windows 10 specifically due to this)

I know that you can somehow modify the settings in BIOS but that takes ages… (Me I was not able to modify it)

This depends on the computer’s BIOS - most common is the F12 one time boot menu - check your computers user manual if you do not see this info on the screen when you turn on the machine. Another common key is F2 to enter the BIOS setup…once there you should also be able to find info on what what key is used for a one-time boot.

1 Like

Sorry my mistake, I did some research and most manufacturers have this option in their BIOS (Still quite a lengthy process).

I repeat what @apt-ghetto said: this is complete nonsense. It can be done in mere seconds on any machine.

2 Likes

It seems I lost the argument then… :frowning: Sorry about it then.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.