How to get past partitions during installation?

When trying to install Lubuntu it gets to the Partitions section and won’t go any farther. It seems to be waiting on me to do something there but it’s not obvious what that is. The manual says “If all you want is Lubuntu on your machine, you can select the Erase disk button” but I don’t get any Erase button, just the one called Manual Partitioning. How does anyone ever use Lubuntu if they can’t install it? Since I’m not sure what partitioning it wants what can I do there?

1 Like

I’ve never had this problem with other versions of Linux such as Mint.
Also it gives me a warning that my PC has “No Battery”!
There seem to be a lot of bugs in this latest version! Someone should have checked it before it was released!

Is it possible that I don’t have enough disk space? I looked but couldn’t find anything telling how much disk space it needs. I thought the SSD was 64Gb since it’s marked 64 but it turned out to be only 7.4gB! The Partition function doesn’t say anything about not enough space or anything else useful though. It seems like it should work since the old version of Lubuntu was running on it before unless the newest version has become incredibly bloated.

Providing release details is always helpful, as it lets us know what software stack (esp. what versions of software you’re using), and for installs the ISO used also matters, as we respin ISOs which may also mean the version of installer varies too.

The software will examine the hardware it sees, and give what options it considers available for that given hardware. Where windows systems may exist or any OS where an unclean file-system is detected, some options may not be offered until you resolve the detected issues/errors (eg. disable hibernate or fastboot that causes the unclean state, or perform file-system checks if the unclean state was because of actual errors)

On some problematic hardware I have had strange errors that vary on the install media (including different versions of installers including ubiquity but also very much calamares). On such devices, I prepare my partitions before I start the installer, then start the installer and use it only to select the prepared partitions rather than using the installer to make those partitions. This is particularly useful on devices that are non-standard, be it unusual/abnormal setup (non-PC type device) or really old short-term devices that were made only briefly using spare parts etc (ie. the manufacturer took shortcuts that reduced their time & saved them money)

All our products are tested extensively; seen Testing Checklist - understanding the testcases or on the ISO QA tracker.

FYI: Attempting to install on a system with 7.4GB of space I see as a user-procedural error. Ubuntu Desktop has recommended a minimum size of 25GB since Ubuntu 17.10, and whilst we at Lubuntu haven’t provided minimums since mid-2018, I’d expect users to know their hardware pre-install, but maybe that’s just me.

I shouldn’t have to tell you, don’t you guys know what the latest software version is?
Where is the documentation saying how much memory you need? I couldn’t find anything about it at all in the manual!
I ordered a larger msata but I’ll probably be going back to Mint since Lubuntu just has too many problems!

As per my prior comment, we at Lubuntu haven’t provided minimum specifications since 27 July 2018, which was after our last LXDE release (not counting re-spins).

we will no longer provide minimum system requirements and we will no longer primarily focus on older hardware

Why ask for something we have said we don’t provide, and had given reasons for that decision. I still use hardware from 2005 in my own QA or Quality Assurance testing… but specs are easily misunderstood, and that 2005 hardware has more capacity than newer hardware (2007) that I can no longer use in my QA testing.

We’d love more contributors, which would allow us to do more QA, more testing & provide more documentation, but that all requires resources we don’t have.

1 Like

Responses like this just make me smile.

I know the latest release of our software, 2023-April being our latest official release of software (ie. Lubuntu 23.04).

However I’m also aware that 3 of 4 users who state they’re using the latest don’t mean that, but consider only the LTS releases, thus to them it’s Lubuntu 22.04 LTS (ie. ignoring 22.10 & 23.04 which were later releases). I prefer facts and thus have learnt to ‘ignore’ vague terms such as latest when offered.

FYI: I’m also aware of the ISO tracker & can look up specific ISO dates & am aware of the various dailies that are on-offer (and dailies can vary on architecture, release & more too), thus what is latest tends to be specific to your point of view; however I know most end-users tend to only consider LTS releases when using latest thus yes I want to be told what you consider the latest.

so you have mint on the disk already? Either way, if you’re using the entire disk, use gparted (or the partition option during install) and create a new partition table on it, or if mint is already on it, guess is you created a swap partition that auto-mounts, hence you don’t get the option of the entire disk, so un-mount it and also just create a new partition table. Not a lubuntu problem as such just a legacy of a previous install or new disk, but as you learn, you’ll see that. Just remember, creating a new partition table for a disk wipes anything on it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.