How to enable PDF thumbnail preview on PCmanFM-qt on Lubuntu 20.04 LTS?

I installed Lubuntu 20.04 LTS and I did the upgrade of system (sudo apt upgrade).
But this function don’t work. I installed Evince and I setting as default PDF reader, but don’t work.

pc-on-lubuntu
As you see in image above, the pdf thumbnail don’t show. I installed Nautilus and the thumbnails work well, just PCManFM that don’t work.

I tried with official Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on live mode and thumbnails work well. I installed PCManFM-qt on Ubuntu and worked too! See the picture:

Anyone knows some way to enable this feature on Lubuntu??? I am dummy in this subjects. I think is some problem on DBus or something like.

1 Like

You need another app to do that.

3 Likes

Hi man!

Thanks for response. I finally understood how thumbnails are produced.
The guy of your link use graphicsmagick to generate thumbnails, but in my tests its so slow to execute. Evince was more fast.

I tested against a book of 828 MB six times:

time gm convert -quality 100 -thumbnail 128 -flatten Biology.pdf[0] 1.png

real    0m15,729s
real    0m7,861s
real    0m10,055s
real    0m8,773s
real    0m8,416s
real    0m11,417s
# File generated had 23,6 KiB

time evince-thumbnailer -s 128 Biology.pdf 2.png

real    0m0,250s
real    0m0,250s
real    0m0,273s
real    0m0,249s
real    0m0,251s
real    0m0,249s
# File generated had 25,4KiB

Evince takes less 1 second to generate the thumbnail whereas graphicsmagick takes 10 seconds in average.

Do you know some alternative of thumbnailer for LXQt as fast as Evince ?

I really liked of qpdf and I want takes just one PDF reader in my machine, but I think that feature is essential when you have a lot of pdf documents to check in the work.

Another problem that I found is that evince-thumbnailer just work in Lubuntu 18/20.04 if I disable apparmor.
I did and restart:

sudo systemctl stop apparmor.service
sudo systemctl disable apparmor.service

All thumbnails start to work now.

Hi!

I solved the problem! I used the pdftoppm that is already available in Lubuntu.

I created the file /usr/bin/pdftoppm-thumbnailer:

#!/bin/bash

out="$3"
pdftoppm -png -singlefile -scale-to $1 "$2" "${out%".png"}"

Then I created the file /usr/share/thumbnailers/pdftoppm.thumbnailer:

[Thumbnailer Entry]
Exec=pdftoppm-thumbnailer %s %i %o
MimeType=application/pdf;application/x-pdf;image/pdf;application/x-gzpostscript;application/postscript;

I restarted and everything worked good!

I created an debian package to fix this easy, you can download here!

1 Like

In my tests here, neither graphicsmagick nor pdftoppm can generate thumbnails on top of the SMB protocol. Evince-thumbnailer can if apparmor had disabled.
I will continue using pdftoppm, but if someone need this feature over SMB those people will have to change to Evince.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.