Glitchy login screen and crash when I try to log in

I’ve been trying to install Lubuntu 20.10 on to an old computer which should run just fine. I install the OS and boot without issues, until I reach the login screen, that glitches out and changes colors between black and white.

Then I put in the password to enter the computer to see if I can fix the problem. But it crashes, showing me a black screen with blue or white dashes in a diagonal pattern.

I’m kind of a noob with Lubuntu, so I don’t know what’s the problem or if it can be fixed. I previously tried Lubuntu 18.04 LTS and it works flawlessly.

The computers specs are:

AMD Sempron LE-1150 with NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE / nForce 430 (maybe a graphics issue??)
2GB of RAM
160 GB Hard Drive
Prebuilt Compaq Presario Case and Motherboard

Any help would be much apreciated :slight_smile:

Please have a look at Login screen flashes - #23 by vbdanl

To me, the greeter (sddm) looks like a repeat of that thread ( sddm handles the greeter or login screen).

The crash you describe however I’m not familiar with (isn’t an issue in the other thread), but yes sounds like graphics issue.

I did experience crashes on very old x86 (older pentium M) boxes with the 5.4 kernel (ie. 18.04.5, but there was no issue with prior 18.04 releases or when using the 18.04 GA kernel thus I wonder which 18.04 base you installed/were talking about? ie. using GA 4.15 kernel (ie. installed with 18.04 or 18.04.1 media), or an updated HWE 5.4 kernel? (installed & upgraded via later media)). This could be an unrelated issue though

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

If you blindly put in the password, does it boot up to a normal desktop?

If you use the likes of CtrlAltF4 to get to a virtual terminal, does everything look ugly still or does it display fine?

1 Like