Fwupd-refresh.service has finished with a failure

Hi all, :slightly_smiling_face:

when I started my system today I noticed a red “failed” entry when the initial messages were running through at boot. :slightly_frowning_face:

Getting curious what that was I looked it up after the system had started. I found this message:

lnav
[...]
Sep 23 13:10:20 rosika-10159 systemd[1]: Starting Refresh fwupd metadata and update motd...                                                                                                                                                [...]
│Sep 23 13:10:33 rosika-10159 systemd[1]: Failed to start Refresh fwupd metadata and update motd.                                                                                                                                         │

So I tried to the following:

systemctl status fwupd-refresh.service
● fwupd-refresh.service - Refresh fwupd metadata and update motd
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/fwupd-refresh.service; static; vendor preset: disable>
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2022-09-23 13:23:32 CEST; 42min ago
TriggeredBy: ● fwupd-refresh.timer
       Docs: man:fwupdmgr(1)
    Process: 3981 ExecStart=/usr/bin/fwupdmgr refresh (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 3981 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Sep 23 13:23:32 rosika-10159 systemd[1]: Starting Refresh fwupd metadata and update motd...
Sep 23 13:23:32 rosika-10159 systemd[1]: fwupd-refresh.service: Main process exited, code=exit>
Sep 23 13:23:32 rosika-10159 systemd[1]: fwupd-refresh.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 23 13:23:32 rosika-10159 systemd[1]: Failed to start Refresh fwupd metadata and update mot>

Hmm, seems something is not right there. :thinking:

I´m still at a loss here. Up till now all this hadn´t been an issue.

My last system update was on 2022-09-20 when I received the latest kernel 5.4.0-126-generic.
No idea whether this had anything to do with it. I may be wrong there.

Has anybody got any idea what might be going on :question:

Thanks so much and many greetings
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I couldn’t make head or tail of it but you can have a read here.

The service basically auto updates firmware on connected devices (e.g UEFI nvram devices). IMHO I don’t see why you have to monitor 24/7 for upgrades, so personally, I would just disable it.

2 Likes

Hi @humpty, :wave:

thanks for your reply and for the link indeed. I´ll look into it.

O.K. this seems plausible.

UPDATE:

Actually changing the value DynamicUser=yes to no in
/lib/systemd/system/fwupd-refresh.service
helped to get rid of the error message. :smiley:

and things were good so far … but at the end of the day I reverted it to the state it had been before because I wanted to take a fresh look at it today. I had a gut feeling about that… :blush:

Well, I´ll be blessed. When starting my system today I didn´t get the “failed” message from yesterday in the boot messages. :astonished:
When my system was up and running I checked:

systemctl status fwupd-refresh.service
● fwupd-refresh.service - Refresh fwupd metadata and update motd
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/fwupd-refresh.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
    Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/fwupd-refresh.service.d
             └─override.conf
     Active: inactive (dead)
TriggeredBy: ● fwupd-refresh.timer
       Docs: man:fwupdmgr(1)
             man:fwupdmgr(1)

and lnav didn´t show the entries (unlike yesetrday) either: I looked for the keywords “fwupd” and “motd”. :+1:

I actually don´t know what the whole thing was about yesterday. Today it seems to be back to normal again… :thinking:

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. :heart:

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Hi and thanks so much for the additional info by providing the link.

It´s highly appreciated. :heart:

Many greetings
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.