For those that run Lubuntu on 2gb ram, how's the experience?

How is it? Does it choke or does it purr?

1 Like

I have one device (that I can think of) with 2GB of RAM and I use it when its appropriate for me (I need a portable laptop with disk space as it has that).

When using a device with low RAM (and I consider <5GB to be low RAM) I tend to use the machine differently and avoid multi-tasking unless the apps share resources & none are excessive in RAM use unless I’ve considered before starting the app how it’ll impact performance. I do also tend to use different apps on lower-RAM machines somewhat; but I’m not needing to live with 2GB of RAM thus have more choices than someone who does.

Key with low RAM I feel is to setup an appropriate swap for your usage.

5 Likes

I run Lubuntu 23.04 on a 2gb dual-core Intel laptop and it runs well with a few tweaks.

6 Likes

Do you mind stating which tweaks?

I have them listed here:

2 Likes

Main main desktop uses 2.29GB.
I have Thunderbird and Firefox (76 tabs :-)) open though.
I have a 4GB laptop and it runs fine there.
No 2GB machines.

2 Likes

I think it really depends on the computer and hardware Linux is installed on. Some hardware seems to preform better than other hardware regardless of what it is.

I use old desktops.

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 dual core processor 2.9 GHz.
Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
4.0 GB DDR3 memory
Mechanical hard drives.

Lubuntu and other Linux distros run well on my old low powered computers.
Okay they ain’t no high speed super computer.
They run decent and aren’t painful to use and the Linux experience is very good.

As for all of the bellyaching about Snaps no complaints from any of my computers.
Snaps are getting better it takes time and the more I learn about them the more I like the concept of Snap.

No one is holding a shotgun to anyone’s head forcing anyone to use a Linux disto that has Snaps.
Bottom line if you don’t like Snaps then use a Snap free distro plenty of them out there.

I can find all kinds of things to bellyache about AppImage and Flatpak they have faults also.
I like Ubuntu and Ubuntu based Linux distros and they come with Snaps already implemented so I’ll use Snaps.

Okay I’m done.

4 Likes

Much better then than NOW. I’m talking about ALL Distros and Shot off my Mouth on Another Platform. I have a 1.6 GHz Sincle Core Celeron with 2 Gigs of DDR3 Ram Running 667 MHz and When I first Loaded Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish it wasn’t much to sneeze at. Taking Up over 480 Megabytes for a Boot Up Much bigger than the Bionic Beaver Buster Version of Lubuntu 18.04 or so.

Like my Raspberry Pi 4 it ramped up to 13 gigs of Install. With No Problems. Ran Very Smooth and Was the Most Awesome and Comprehensive Development I Ever had. Gave It For Another Distro that Was Like my Slax only to Come back to Find that Destroyed my Routine to Fix Sound on Debian and Ubuntu Distros!

Which I did hack for 18.04 where I Learn to Image Linux Using Ubuntu and Debian and Not some app of Microsoft Windows like Rufus and Balena Etcher. Imagine Debian and Ubuntu So Dumb they Need Microsoft Windows To Install their OSes on USB! When I flash my Lubuntu 18.04 to USB. I will Use my Findings to Fix Lubuntu Jammy Jellyfish, I’m Sure.

I Promised to Write and Finish CODE after over a Decade. And Show Everyone How to BE ANONS And Not Just Aliases as Well As the CODE For Super Computer which is very small and Finite. And Much Funner and Easier To Write and Use than You can Even Believe. What You USE. This is the Place to Be if Lubuntu Let’s me. I LOVE Lubuntu. And it’s People.

@pan4b
FWIW, I installed Lubuntu 22.04 recently on an HP-10TS (Touchscreen) with a HDD; so far, so good. The box was originally designed for Win8, and has 1.7 GB RAM.

I think web bloat will kill the box before Lubuntu; browsing got pretty slow with Linux Mint 19.3, so I’m trying Lubuntu.

Cheers,
DB

This should help the bloat, especially from using a web browser:

Thanks for the info!

I’ll have to study up a lot on fstab, but a swap file sounds good. Not something I ever touched on LM19.