Firefox not remembering download directory

firefox is not remembering the download directory.
It always defaults to /run/user/1000/doc/62f64912/

What Lubuntu version do you have installed and when did you notice the problem? Was it after an update?

What version of Firefox are you using?

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
Mozilla Firefox 100.0.2
The problem might have existed since the OS upgrade, I rarely save files.

I think it has something to do with snap.

I found another problem.
I open a directory with pcmanfm-qt and click on an html file.
I get the error:

‘Firefox can’t find the file at /hdd-storage/storage/manuals/Keychron K2 mechanical keyboard/Keychron K2 Bluetooth_USB Wireless Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, Compact 84 Keys RGB LED Backlight N-Key Rollover, Aluminum Frame for Mac Windows, Gateron G Pro Blue Switch, Version 2 Amazon.ca Electronics.html.’.

I open a terminal in that directory and run

$ firefox ‘Keychron K2 Bluetooth_USB Wireless Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, Compact 84 Keys RGB LED Backlight N-Key Rollover, Aluminum Frame for Mac Windows, Gateron G Pro Blue Switch, Version 2 Amazon.ca Electronics.html’

and I get the error:

‘Firefox can’t find the file at /var/lib/snapd/void/Keychron K2 Bluetooth_USB Wireless Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, Compact 84 Keys RGB LED Backlight N-Key Rollover, Aluminum Frame for Mac Windows, Gateron G Pro Blue Switch, Version 2 Amazon.ca Electronics.html.’

1 Like

Definitely sounds like a snap nuance which was my initial hunch.

Snaps run confined, thus cannot access files outside of $HOME, or specific directories (/mnt/ and /media/ are examples of directories outside of $HOME that can be accessed with snap connect (see here for some an example)) which improves security, but also means a directory mounted at /hdd-storage/ will be beyond reach for confined snap programs.

FYI: I have some network shares that I like mounting on / on my systems (to prevent me having to type mnt/ endlessly as I access them a lot), and rather than move the mounts to /mnt I just added a second mount point there so i can access them via snap packages when required. In my case the mounts in /mnt are RO only by choice, but I don’t download files from browsers (chromium/firefox) anyway.

2 Likes

I can still save a web page outside of snap.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.