Error install 20.04

What I just tried:
Using the live CD of LXLE (^^") I could properly delete and recreate the partition using gparted. So it is unlikely that it is a problem with the hard drive or the computer.

After recreating a fresh ext4 partition like that, I tried to install Lubuntu 20.04 again on that fresh partition, same result: it deletes the partition, then fails to create it again.

So what youā€™re saying is you used both KDE Partition Manager and gparted to make a new partition and then started the installer and both failed?

If you just had calamares crash because of a bug (Bug #1851188 ā€œFailed to create a partition table - install faile...ā€ : Bugs : calamares package : Ubuntu or whatever), in my experience KDE Partition Manager will now have problems too until you restart the system (logout/login maybe enough, but I restart ā€˜liveā€™ sessions usually). By switching to LXLE you in effect just re-started your system too.

I reboot the ā€˜liveā€™ system (Lubuntu installer), use KDE Partition Manager to create the partition scheme I want (selecting my file-systems there) and use the Manual Partitioning of Lubuntuā€™s calamares installer and issues are gone.

Kind of.

Because what gparted does is overwritten by the KDE partition manager which deletes the partition in any situation.

I did restart a few times, even rewriting the live USB key from scratch.

In the end I gave up because having no OS on y computer was not an option, so I went with LXLE.

What I suspect is an issue with the type of boot. I was not using the UEFI boot but the legacy one for my lubuntu 16.04 (because at that time it was not simply working otherwise). Maybe this created some issue at the time of the creation of the partitionā€¦? (Itā€™s a wild guess due to my limited knowledgeā€¦)

So youā€™re saying to delete the previous partition with kde, create an ext4 partition. restart the live, use the manual installation of lubuntu, select the ext4 crata partition with kde and everything works?

Yes that is what I suggested.

Another alternative Iā€™m more familiar with (20.04 testing feels like it was a long time ago nowā€¦) is it can work if you boot your ā€˜liveā€™ media and instead of clicking the ā€˜installā€™ icon, you use the command

sudo -E calamares -d

to run the installer. That does nothing except cause verbose logging to be created during the install process (useful in chasing down errors), but that extra logging changes the timing of events which can make a timing bug not occur.

I did an install earlier today on 20.10 and it failed first attempt , but a re-run using that command to start the calamares installer was successful. No guarantees of course, but itā€™s worked perfectly last two 20.10 installs that gave me trouble with a 1851188 type issue. (running it this way should mean you donā€™t need to use manual partitioning and can use your preferred install options)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.