Discover & Muon erro messages

New to Lubuntu so concerned by error reports and who how to report.
Muon reports section with no package header.
Discover reports problem with merge list.

In most cases the problem is likely a support issue so I’d ask questions here.

If it was me, this is what I’d do. Assuming it’s Muon Package Manager

screengrab_muon-2021-09-23-18-41-26

In my example let’s say the package I want to install is e3 (highlighted package) and I’m getting an error

I’d jump to terminal and try to install from there

guiverc@d960-ubu2:~/uwn/issues/701$   sudo apt install e3
[sudo] password for guiverc: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  e3
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 19.0 kB of archives.
After this operation, 56.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu impish/universe amd64 e3 amd64 1:2.82+dfsg-2 [19.0 kB]
Fetched 19.0 kB in 1s (15.0 kB/s)                    
Selecting previously unselected package e3.
(Reading database ... 612837 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../e3_1%3a2.82+dfsg-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking e3 (1:2.82+dfsg-2) ...
Setting up e3 (1:2.82+dfsg-2) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/e3em to provide /usr/bin/emacs (emacs) in auto mode
Processing triggers for man-db (2.9.4-2) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47ubuntu4) ...
guiverc@d960-ubu2:~/uwn/issues/701$

In my case the package installs perfectly; but the command line detail (messages shown on screen) are in my opinion anyway, the easiest way to get help with. These messages are easy to find/read & paste on sites like this (far easier than looking in logs; ie. just paste them with your question).

Note: try and paste them inside <Code> (or Preformatted text) tags to make it easier to read

It’d be roughly the same with Discover as well; except whilst muon is a package manager (and thus deals with deb packages), Discover can also deal with snap packages where it’s a different command (snap install), eg. a search for telegram-desktop in discover reveals at the bottom the following which tells me it’s a snap

screen-2021-09-23-19-24-09_discover_telegram-desktop-source

1 Like

Tried full upgrade call.

Failed to load the package list

This is a serious problem. Try again later. If this problem appears again, please report an error to the developers.

Error Resume:

Eror Code: error-no-cache

This is a serious problem. Try again later. If this problem appears again, please report an error to the developers.

Error Detail: E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_binary-amd64_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Error Detail: E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_binary-amd64_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

MPM reports can not initialised due to no package header.

Discover reports no software to load.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.