Different wallpapers for different desktops?

Hello altogether,

I am asking the following question on behalf of a friend of mine who (like me) is using Lubuntu 20.04.2. She´s very satisfied with the system but wants to know more of a specific topic which I myself don´t know enough about.

Like in Lubuntu bionic (which still made use of LXDE) she´d like to assign different wallpapers to each of her 4 desktops.
So that when she switches desktops she sees a different wallpaper.

I looked around but couldn´t find any way of configuring that.

Is this still possible in Lubuntu focal (with LXQt)? :question:

Many thanks in advance.

Greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Unfortunatelly there is not. But you can build your own wallpaper stitching together different images according to each monitor size.
If you want you can create a script for it, you could inspire you in
https://github.com/hmollercl/stitchWP/blob/master/stitchWP.sh
it’s only for 1 image and 2 monitors, but you can start from there.

4 Likes

@hmollercl:

Dear Hans,

thank you so much for your answer. :hearts:

That script of yours is certainly great and I so much admire you for that. :+1:

Yet in its description it says:

As my friend doesn´t use multiple displays in the sense of multiple monitors (she has just one monitor = the laptop´s own monitor) she just wants to assign different wallpapers to different workspaces (of which she has 4).

I definitively lack the competence for re-writing or modifying your script for that task.
But thanks for the suggestion.

Well, I´ll tell her then what she looks for isn´t supported by the LXQt DE.

Nevertheless thank you very much for your help. :slightly_smiling_face:

Many greetings
Rosika :wave:

1 Like

Hi all,

I don´t know whether this will lead anywhwere but I´d like to tell you about an app which might be of help in the matter :question:

Looking a bit around in the web I stumbled upon the page Top 10+ Best Linux Wallpaper Changer Software .
Of all the wallpaper changers presented there was wallpapoz which caught my eye:
In the description it says:

it has one unique feature. It can set up different wallpapers for different workspaces. For this reason, when you switch your workspaces, you will get a different ambiance.

Looking it up on Wallpapoz › Archiv › Wiki › ubuntuusers.de I found out that …

Wallpapoz was originally developed for the GNOME 2 desktop environment and consists of two components […]

The latest version is said to support GNOME 3 and Xfce. Yet there was no mention of LXQt.
So I don´t know whether the programm would work with Lubuntu 20.04. :thinking:

The program requires a dependency package, which is not installed automatically.
So you have to install it before the actual installation of Wallpapoz

(translated from German)

sudo apt-get install python-imaging

Yet it seems there´s no installation candidate for that one. :pensive:

Does anybody know a bit more about wallpapoz (https://vajrasky.wordpress.com/ ) and how to install it?
Or if it works with LXQt at all?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.