Compose Key - works, but doesn't survive reboot

Following this thread, I used this command

setxkbmap -option compose:ralt

to set Right Alt as the Compose Key. It works! But it doesn’t survive reboot…

Anyone knows how to make it permanent?

The OP in this thread was heading in the almost right direction. It seems that making the Compose Key persistent on Lubuntu requires editing:

Blockquote
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-keyboard.conf

The file itself warns against being edited, saying in bright red letters: “# Read and parsed by systemd-localed. It’s probably wise not to edit this file manually too freely.”

Gentoo wiki where I initially found how to do it also says:

Blockquote
For sake of sanity, it is advised to use of a proper desktop environment with its own keyboard layout management.

Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful finding the GUI option in Lubuntu (did find it in Ubuntu though) or in its manual. I assume that it does exist and I just can’t find it. Could someone please point me to a place where this can be done without manually editing system files in the future?

In the meantime, the Arch Wiki provided me with an easy-to-follow example and my 10-keyboard.conf file now looks like this:

Blockquote
Section “InputClass”
Identifier “system-keyboard”
MatchIsKeyboard “on”
Option “XkbLayout” “us”
Option “XkbOptions” “compose:ralt”
EndSection

And it works! My Right Alt now serves as the Compose Key and the configuration persists after a reboot.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.