Can't install Chrome on Lubuntu 20.04 LTS

Hello,

I can’t install Chrome on Lubuntu 20.04 LTS.

When I try the command “sudo apt install google-chrome”, it gives me the following error:

E: Unable to locate package google-chrome

How can I solve this?

Chrome is not free software, so Ubuntu doesn’t distribute it. You can get it from Google themselves, though.

1 Like

You mean download it from the Google website?

I have downloaded “google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb” file and when I try to install it, the Discover program gives me the following error:

“Cannot install from unsigned repo.”

I don’t know. What should I do?

Yes, the only place that distributes Chrome is Google.

In general, when it comes to software outside of the Ubuntu archives, you contact the developer for support.

The fact that the repository is unsigned seems really strange and I probably would not personally proceed without investigating that further with the developer.

That said, you can try sudo dpkg -i /path/to/file (fill in that last bit) and if you get an error about missing dependencies, run sudo apt install -f after.

2 Likes

Thanks! It worked via the command “dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb”.

Just out of curiosity so I learn, what does the “-i” command do and why Discover application was not able to install it?

All of the commands should have manual pages so you can see man dpkg to find out but I’ll save you the trouble and tell you it’s short for “install.”

Regarding Discover, not sure. Again, the unsigned business is concerning. I’ve never encountered that with any other software, so I don’t know what to tell you.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I’m still learning Linux.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.