Can't drag and drop

ver 21.04 hirsute running on old laptop AMD Athlon 2650e cpu

noob question:
I’d like to create a shortcut to a folder on the desktop. Drag and drop does not seem to work. What am I missing?

Supposedly you should be able to drag and drop the folder you’re trying to make a shortcut for.

At least, that’s what it says in the manual:
https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/5/5.2/desktop_icons.html#adding-and-removing-items-from-the-desktop

I will try this in a bit as I recall this working before but my memory is bad these days.

Yup. That’s what I thought. I had read the manual and I done a web search. Thanks for volunteering to try it out too.

Using Lubuntu 20.04, I did get to drag and drop a folder (I assume it works in 21.04 but didn’t test). I will mention though that when I dragged it to my desktop, I was then presented with some options… I had to select the create symlink here option to get the shortcut on the desktop.

@fausto99 when you tried to drag and drop, did it give you any options such as copy here or move here?

The symlink keyword is just techie jargon but for the purposes of creating a shortcut, this will do what people expect it to do—like say for instance what people do in Windows.

No I did not get any options, prompts or choices at all. Click and drag does not even move so much as a ghost of the folder I has originally clicked on. I’m wondering if it’s the touch pad driver? I’ll try with a USB mouse - no same no action at all with a USB mouse.

I don’t know if a driver would cause that considering you can still click things.

This is a weird one. I just tested this with Lubuntu 21.04 and it works there too - same options and all.

I’ll let you know if I find anything that helps. I’m not too sure what would cause that.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.