Can't change keyboard locale on logon screen with lxqt (Lubuntu 19.04, 19.10 and 20.04)

I’ve stumbled upon the same problem even recently.
Sure there should be more intuitive or more understandable how to switch layout, and this is an important part of OS(!). But i believe people mostly tend to overcomplicate things digging for solution.
So, this is what helped me eventually: https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2017/11/06/153/
I’ve got an ancient desktop with lubuntu 20.04 (and i definitely like its look & feel).
File: etc/default/keyboard added XKBOPTIONS=“grp:lalt_lshift_toggle”, but might need reboot after

1 Like

you can change the language also by adding the keyboard applet to the panel

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Is this still a problem?

Yes, of course. Lubuntu 20.04.1 Live CD is still the same, so I must use netboot Ubuntu iso to correctly install Lubuntu 20.04. All solutions in this thread are workarounds.

Same for Lubuntu 20.10.
@guiverc , @Roberalz , Dis somebody try to recreate “livecd” system image? for example, install lubuntu from netboot by tasksel, then add “missing” packages, remove unnecessary packages and THEN create livecd. As I sayed, this bug doesn’t suddenly persist if install Lubuntu NOT from official livecd (for example, from netboot livecd)…

In fact, installed from Ubuntu server in English, adding after installation the Russian language, I enter with a password in English and the rest of the system is in Russian. I don’t see a problem anywhere.

1 Like

why do you need two languages ​​to log in?, if you have the password in one language or another, just play with the locales

1 Like

@Roberalz , because it’s wrong system state. And don’t like that.

@Roberalz , pay attention: this bug DOESN’T PRESENT, if to install Lubuntu from Netboot CD or from Ubuntu Server.

Again about using one locale fo login screen. Yes, it’s another workaround - install Lubuntu with English locale ant then reconfigure all system to use Russian locale, use English and Russian keyboard layouts… But it’s take time (multiple dpkg-reconfigure, reinstall keyboar layouts in GUI, reinstall layout change shourtcut)

And again, I still wondering, why this bug dosen’t present when installing Lubuntu by tasksel from “internet”, not from official Lubuntu ISO…

*doesn’t present

Any suggestions?..

How did you install it? regional options in Russian and keyboard in English, or all in Russian?

Solution: sudo featherpad /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
and change in
Section “InputClass”
Identifier “system-keyboard”
MatchIsKeyboard “on”
Option “XkbLayout” “us”
Option “XkbModel” “pc105”
EndSection
the “xx” (e.g. “us”) into your preferred language for the keyboard at start up.

Please never, never, never, never, never start a graphical program with sudo.

The best and distribution-independent way is to use

VISUAL=featherpad sudoedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf

In this way, the graphical text editor is not run with elevated privileges.

3 Likes

If I install Lubuntu 19/20 from LIveCD with Russian keyboard choosed (whatever locale for system was choosed) - only Russian will work on lock screen; if I install with English keyboard - only English will work. As I don’t like it, still, yes, it’s workaround install system with English keyboard only, then add Russian in LXQT gui and for TTY with dpkg-reconfigure.

Again, funny that when I run LiveCD install, when I configure both Russian and English layouts in gui settings, when I click “next” in installation window on selecting keyboard layout step, then only selected layout remains (also in gui keyboard settings) and layout changing shourtcut reseting to None.

So for Lubuntu 19/20, as many wroted, prefered workaround it is add setxkbmap us or even setxkbmap us,ru (now last line worked for me [installed Lubuntu with English keyboard in that test, but maybe it does not matter]) in /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup (append to the end of file)

Finally “fixed” for Lubuntu 21.04. Maybe because FINALLY livecd was recreated from clean Ubuntu (still more likely because a lot of packages were updated). Also now SYSLINUX boots grub, so LiveCD boots to English language (locale) for system (of course could be change system locale in LXQT settings before installing). All keyboard layout changes work normally, installing Lubuntu 21.04 with Russian locale and selecting Russian keyboard layout in installation window will install both English and Russian layouts, with alt+shift layout changing shourtcut, as it was before Lubutnu 19. And both layouts work in sddm lock screen

2 Likes

Was a calamares bug. Is ok in this version

https://github.com/calamares/calamares/issues/1211

2 Likes