Brand newbie (as in TODAY!). Help very much appreciated

Hey all. I need some help please. I rescued an old Thinkpad for the main purpose of learning python coding. I booted Lubuntu successfully from a CD (17.10) but…I am not (stress not) hugely able just yet with computers, but very keen to get learning etc. I have been doing some Terminal stuff etc but my big issue at the minute is - I downloaded 18.04 but I don’t actually know how what to do to actually install/run it? I keep getting ‘extract’ prompts etc but how do I actually run it ?? Confused. Seconldy and finally I had ben trying to get python up and running following all the onlindeterminal line prompts/advice etc…but I kept getting error messages along lines of not being able to download IDLE due problems with something called PPA? I don’t understand any of this…YET. COULD SOMEONE KINDLY PUSH ME THE RIGHT WAY? LOL…thanks very much. The fun is in the discovery but frustrating when you don’t know where to begin!

Welcome to Lubuntu.

If you haven’t worked it out yet, Lubuntu 17.10 (or any 17.10 release; meaning any release from 2017-October, as all Ubuntu flavors use the year.month format) is now End-of-Life or EOL.

The best place I can point you to is the Lubuntu manual and it’s Installing Lubuntu section, ie.

The first section (Retrieving the Image) tells you how to download the image/ISO, the next section (Booting the Image) provides links to write the ISO to a thumb-drive or dvd (or other media) so you can boot it, before the third section covers Installation.

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS is an option, it was released in 2018-April (thus 18.04) and had three years of support life from release, meaning a little under a year left. It’s the best option for really old hardware (especially x86 or 32-bit boxes like a IBM Thinkpad t43 for example).

The manual I’ve referenced assumes you’re going to install the latest LTS, ie. Lubuntu 20.04 LTS (2020-April release, from earlier this year) which has almost three years of supported life remaining, and allows you to release-upgrade in the future to later releases without a re-install (required for 18.04 LTS). If it was a Lenovo Thinkpad x201 you’re talking about, I’d use Lubuntu 20.04 LTS.

If you need/decide to use the older Lubuntu 18.04 LTS, the details in the pages will still apply, however screens and options will be slightly different (18.04 used the LXDE desktop, the pages/manual assumes LXQt found in all releases since 18.10).

2 Likes

Wow, that was quick and very comprehensive guiverc! Thank you very much indeed - no I didn’t properly understand the notation etc. I’ll check out your links etc and hopefully learn along the way. Thanks again. regards, C.

I forget to mention LTS means long-term-support, and means the release has a supported life of three years for flavors like Lubuntu (five years for main Ubuntu).

The 17.10 (or later Lubuntu 19.10) releases have only 9 months before you must release-upgrade to bump yourself to the next release. Their advantage is they are always the latest, with latest software, but given it means you must bump every 6-9 months, most users stick to LTS releases that come out each April of even years (ie. last two were 18.04 & 20.04).

Lubuntu 18.04 LTS was the last release to use LXDE, which is why it doesn’t have an upgrade path except via re-install. (re-install is actually quicker anyway, so it’s not a bad option truthfully!).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.