Becoming a Lubuntu Contributor & Member

David or @KGIII is our most recent Lubuntu member, and has written a blog where he talks about the journey.

I think it’s a good read, and maybe of benefit to those who’d like to contribute, and lightly covers some of the benefits that can come from contributions.

Sure our Lubuntu/Ubuntu membership benefits (such as @lubuntu.me email, member badge on site etc) maybe nice, but the real benefits are intangible (pride in helping get a great product out, providing good support for that product, helping others to achieve their goals etc).

https://linux-tips.us/meta-im-now-an-official-lubuntu-and-ubuntu-member/

It includes a recommended link that will helpful if you’d like to start QA-testing. If you have any questions, as always please just ask.

8 Likes

It makes me happy to be surrounded by such wonderful teammates. :blush: Thanks for your contributions thus far @KGIII and the mentorship from @guiverc and @leok. I look forward to the future in the Lubuntu project.

5 Likes

I think the ‘intangible’, or perhaps ‘uncountable’ benefits are the best. Yeah, there’s the @lubuntu.me email address - but there’s also the pride (for lack of a better word) of having that address. I don’t really expect to use that address for anything, but it’s nice to have it.

It’s also a vote of confidence. In the article, I mention some serious Impostor Syndrome going on. It’s quite a step to say, ‘my peers’. I’ve spent a whole lot of time in and around academia and this feels perhaps a little similar to other accomplishments.

It’s also a rather small club. I’m not sure how many folks are currently Lubuntu Members - but it can’t be all that many. Being an optimist, that means it’s a pretty exclusive club. Being voted into membership was a rather nice rush of endorphins.

As for the site linked, that’d be my project. I plan on an article every other day for a full year, and I’m more than halfway there. However, it seems pretty likely that I’ll keep going with it.

I recall reading something about a ‘mentor’ (though that may be a Debian thing) and I could ask for no better mentor than @guiverc and would likely have taken even longer (or perhaps not done so at all) without the urging of @leok.

I consider this just the start of a journey. As I continue to learn, I hope to be a better asset to the community. To touch on that for a moment, the community as a whole that attracted me. Y’all are a helpful bunch of people, and far more knowledgeable than I’ll ever be.

tips hat

6 Likes

I am particularly excited for LXQt 1.0. That seems like a major milestone. I was hesitant at first, but transferring to LXQt has done good things for the distro and the distro’s future.

6 Likes

Sounds like you guys keep getting better and better. Much congrats to you man. Thank you for your contributions! :partying_face:

6 Likes

Welcome to our small group of people, this is a great Project!!!

6 Likes

Thanks to both, and @That_Random_Guy there’s always room for more testers!

It’s mostly mundane and a bit tedious, but someone’s gotta do it.

6 Likes

Thank you all team. But how to become member of this plz tell me?

2 Likes

Our wiki page describes the path to membership and what it means to be a member.

4 Likes

We have a new Lubuntu member.

Aaron Rainbolt, or as known here @ArrayBolt3.

Congratulations Aaron.

6 Likes

Congrats! Thanks for helping out!

4 Likes