Are three sessions necessary?

I am a lubuntu 20.04 new user and I see there are three options to choose - lubuntu, lqxt desktop and openbox. At first, for me it was a blessing to get three types of desktop in a single operating system. I appreciate the work lubuntu team has done. My point is that if I have only one session for lubuntu, It may consume less resources than it already does (personal opinion without any offense)
I cannot login in to openbox after giving password. Why is that happening?
The lubuntu operating system takes a bit of time to come into login section? I thought that it would take much less time as it is light weight .
login screen get stuck for some time to get into the system. I am not sure that these problems are from my side or the problems are real.
Feel free to get in touch, thanks.

These are just my thoughts, and it’s possible I may have mixed the mark, so I apologize if I’m wrong.

I suspect here you are logging in, but don’t recognize that you’re logged in. When I login I get a black background and cursor; which is what I expect. On right click of black background I get the openbox menu, ie. a simple openbox session. Selecting ‘exit’ in the menu asks for confirmation of ending the openbox session and logs me out when I click Exit.

I suspect this is what you have, but that you expected more (it’s like a clean slate that you can turn into whatever you want, but it’s pretty bare by default).

I do recall situations where the background didn’t blacken (so it looked like you were still on the sddm greeter screen) but I didn’t find the bug reports for those on launchpad and there were old so likely no longer apply.

Yes some decisions made by Ubuntu have slowed my boot times for Lubuntu (snaps come to mind), but I’ve learnt to be patient as there are benefits with snaps, and not waiting creates more issues for me with chromium (the browser I use for this and a few Ubuntu sites) so I adjusted my behavior & wait until a notification appears top right as a clue the system is ready.

It’s also possible changes made to our systems slow the startup down to; me I’m happy with this as I don’t logout/login multiple times a day as I don’t work in a office where I get called away constantly. I can’t really help here though.

I suspect here you are logging in, but don’t recognize that you’re logged in. When I login I get a black background and cursor; which is what I expect. [quote=“guiverc, post:2, topic:1071, full:true”]
These are just my thoughts, and it’s possible I may have mixed the mark, so I apologize if I’m wrong.

I suspect here you are logging in, but don’t recognize that you’re logged in. When I login I get a black background and cursor; which is what I expect. On right click of black background I get the openbox menu, ie. a simple openbox session. Selecting ‘exit’ in the menu asks for confirmation of ending the openbox session and logs me out when I click Exit.

I suspect this is what you have, but that you expected more (it’s like a clean slate that you can turn into whatever you want, but it’s pretty bare by default).

I do recall situations where the background didn’t blacken (so it looked like you were still on the sddm greeter screen) but I didn’t find the bug reports for those on launchpad and there were old so likely no longer apply.

Yes some decisions made by Ubuntu have slowed my boot times for Lubuntu (snaps come to mind), but I’ve learnt to be patient as there are benefits with snaps, and not waiting creates more issues for me with chromium (the browser I use for this and a few Ubuntu sites) so I adjusted my behavior & wait until a notification appears top right as a clue the system is ready.

It’s also possible changes made to our systems slow the startup down to; me I’m happy with this as I don’t logout/login multiple times a day as I don’t work in a office where I get called away constantly. I can’t really help here though.
[/quote]

No I waited for some time but it was stuck at the login screen. I have used the other sessions perfectly as usual.

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.