Add a group to user

I am trying to add a group to my top level account. I am logged in as top user. I go to users and group settings

Select the user, click groups, find group and select the group, then press OK. It asks for password and I enter it.

Then it says “Error executing command as another user: Not authorized”

What am I doing wrong???

It’s a bug of some kind. See here for an explanation and a solution.

1 Like

So I should just use the command window (Qterminal) to change/add users until the bug is fixed???

I am an old retired DOS/Windows users and I was sure that I was causing the problem.

Initial learning Linux (Lubuntu) can be very frustrating for an old guy like me. I chose Lubuntu because I am using very old PCS (all 64 bit).

QUESTION:
Would I be better off using Ubuntu 20 instead of Lubuntu???

Right, just use the terminal. It’s a lot like DOS, but a lot easier.

Ubuntu will likely not have this problem but it will come with a very heavy footprint which will likely be a bad idea for an old computer.

Think about it like this: you can spend a bit more effort creating and modifying users (which I’m sure you’ll only have a need to do a small fraction of the time) and in return get a much faster computer for the regular, every day tasks you need it for.

Sounds like I would be better learning Lubuntu.

I know it sounds silly to you but DARN Linux is hard to get my head around.

I am a little confused as to why several of the applications listed in the standard apps on bottom left popup menu do not work???

THANKS for the help. I would simply be LOST without the help. :-((

We’re here to help, so no problem. Eventually this will all make sense :slight_smile:

Regarding your other issue, could I ask you to create a new topic on the subject? Pictures or videos would be helpful to understand it fully.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.