22.04 Lubuntu on 10 year old hardware

How did you get java to stay disabled.

I open Libreoffice and go to tools and open options to uncheck the java box which does uncheck until I click apply and the it rechecks itself.

I’ve even uninstalled Libreoffice and reinstalled Libreoffice and still no joy with disabling java.

True. They are improving some of the restrictions though like native messaging protocol. It is resonable, unlike windows 11 who imposes tpm 2.0 and a cpu requirement. That’s why i came running towards ubuntu and linux in general. I’m fine with whatever canonical, redhat, or suse imposes as long as it has a good reason. Microsoft didn’t have a good reason other than security and that’s why millions of people are now switching to linux.

I sandbox Firefox with Firejail with AppArmor just for that extra layer of security.

I understand the concept of Snaps and the security that Snaps supposedly provide however the demand on system resources is unreal.
If my computer’s hardware were a dual core i5 and 8GB ram Snaps would probably be okay and I wouldn’t be complaining.

Snaps aren’t developed with user experience in mind.
Snaps are developed to make it easier for the developers to maintain.

And no I don’t have a link where I saw that but it has been brought up on the Ubuntu forums quite a bit since the implementation of Snaps.

1 Like

@Bartman you are right about snaps. Even on a core i5 and 8gb of ram, which is what i have, snaps are unbearable, but only on first launch. I’ve noticed that Ubuntu and its flavors are heavier if you leave them with snaps installed. That’s one of the reasons why I’ve removed them.

Though, it wasn’t entirely canonical’s fault that Firefox is now a snap. Blame Mozilla. They want the Firefox experience to be the same across most of the Linux distros they get their fingers on. Similar controversy was in the mix earlier this year when Mozilla signed a partnership with linuxmint.

1 Like

@BasilCat

Agreed.

As soon as the Wife get her new Windows 11 desktop than I’ll have a desktop with a 4 core processor and 16 GB of memory and an ssd.

Once I have that desktop I’ll give the 22.04 Ubuntu and 22.04 Ubuntu official flavors a try as they come OOTB.

I’m not anti-Snap and I do believe that Snaps have there place however for the hardware I’m using Snaps are a painful experience.

1 Like

You are right on snaps being painful for older hardware. In fact, when someone posts in reddit or any other Ubuntu-related forums asking about which Ubuntu flavor would run on old hardware, they would recommend to remove snaps.

I find it bizarre that laptops still have low powered celerons and are being sold with 4gb of ram. I often hear complaints from those people who have windows 10 on them.

Those days where you could run windows fine on 4gb of ram are done and that’s why i like Linux a lot, among other reasons. I have an old atom powered laptop with linuxmint cinnamon and it runs well with just 2gb of ram and a 32gb emmc card.

I hope they will have these problems fixed with 22.10, aka ‘Kinetic Kudu’.

1 Like

The more security that is added does come with a price as mentioned by @That_Random_Guy.
User computers are going to have to be more powerful for a good user experience just ain’t no other way around.

Over the years we’ve seen how browsers have become memory hogs and with all of the security vulnerabilities and threats the added security measures are no different.

So yeah the need for a more powerful computer is a must and besides it’s just cool having a bad A$$ computer.

I’m just a cheap tight A$$ and don’t want to spend the money. :rofl:

2 Likes

Fortunately that is easily countered. The average person can find pc’s with 8gb of ram and 128gb storage online without having to spend a fortune.
@Bartman web browsers are heavier than before. My old lappy with mint can only open a 10 tabs before it grinds to a halt. You can also reduce ram usage by using an adblocker such as ublock origin.

I agree with that sentiment and have argued the same before. I think if anything, AppImage was actually crafted with the user in mind to make things simpler(?) for app distribution across Linux distros.

Red Hat and Canonical only copied the strategy to brand it in their own way (IMO). Their actions did not actually cater to the community’s best interest even though the benefits do exist.

I personally value the security benefit over the performance drop but I’m one of few… of course, I wouldn’t really appreciate it if my PC wouldn’t run it all to begin with. My laptop is old but it’s probably not the oldest of the bunch obviously.

Since this is more something sprung up by Canonical, it would be interesting to see their thoughts on the subject. We’re at their mercy as far as what comes by default (mostly).

Personally, I would consider equipment that’s reached and gone beyond the 10 year point as old. At the end of it all, Canonical will make their own decisions for their software. :face_exhaling:

3 Likes

Yep ya can however in my case people are giving me their old outdated Windows computers.
I’ve probably 20 plus setting on a shelf I just ain’t scurried through each and everyone to see what it is yet or what may be wrong with it if anything.

Boy here’s a new kick in the pants my Lubuntu 22.04 de-Snaped computer crapped out about 2.5 to 3 hrs ago with no warning bam.

I had to do a complete reinstall of Lubuntu 22.04 and now using Lubuntu 22.04 as it comes default OOTB.

Lubuntu 22.04 has been and is an experience.
I haven’t a clue what happened to cause it to crap out.

It may have had something to do with all of the oem default software I removed I don’t know.

And of coarse I had a backup image just as everyone has and does NOT sigh.

OH well I’ll just live with it as it is as I ain’t going to spend another half of a day de-snaping and removing default software only to have it take a crap again.

OH well we learn by doing or breaking and it happens.

1 Like

@BasilCat

I used SLES at bit at work over a decade ago and did run SUSE Desktop for awhile to become more familiar with SUSE offerings. I still have my green stuffed gecko … well my son still plays with it.

Yast is nice but is yet another tool that only works well with that Linux. I have stuck with rpm/apt for 25 years and that is not likely to change.

Also I just can’t feel right running a Linux that comes from a company that changed ownership about every couple of years.

1 Like

Hmm that is odd. You might want to report that as I don’t have that issue. I quickly updated LibraOffice to a ppa as I work on some custom OpenCL optimizations for Calc.

I think that ship has sailed. Technology moves on. 32-bit processors gone from modern Windows and most Linux distro (all major except Debian). 4 Gig with Windows 10 nope just a horrible experience not really even usable. And Windows 11 raises the technology bar more as even many 2018/2019 laptops don’t meet the processor requirement.

1 Like

What oem software ? I only had a few snaps installed. Firefox being the only large snap. I removed all the snaps. Then disabled snapd service and put both firefox and snapd on apt hold.

I then added massive amounts of ppa (updated kernel, mesa, LibreOffice, POCL ) so I do have a bit of Frankenstein Linux with Lubuntu base.

@thetick openSUSE tumbleweed still supports 32 bit. It is quite stable for a rolling release and you can rollback to a previous snapshot like nothing happened.
Unfortunately, @Bartman, lubuntu uses the calamares installer unlike most of the ubuntu flavours. As i do recall, all flavours except lubuntu and ubuntu studio (moved to calamares during 20.10 when they transitioned to kde plasma) have a minimal install option. This removes most of the oem software except for snaps.

The Snaps were easily remove through the terminal so I’m pretty certain that wasn’t any cause and yeah there ain’t but a couple of Snaps and the Snap core.

As for the oem default software everything I never use.
To much to list was removed through Muon package manager.

I may have caused the problem when I removed the discover software center as things seemed to go astray from there but seemed to straighten up just a lot of missing dependencies which I manged to reinstall.

I think with everything I removed that I created the failure as from past experience you can remove to much and lose needed software which is shared by other software to run properly.

Basically I hacked and butchered my Lubuntu 22.04 but I was willing to break my Linux install from the git-go.

Breaking Linux installs is how I learn what not to do and reinstalling ain’t that big of a deal.

Anyway I’m back up and running with new Lubuntu 22.04 default install OOTB and everything is working good.

I’ve done this before with other Linux distros and have had good results and have had bad results.

I should just remaster or respin the distro to remove the default software which I don’t want although that can become a time consuming project.

It appears that Snaps is here and may become the norm so I might as well learn to get used to them and not try to reinvent the wheel.

1 Like

I’ve used OpenSUSE for a bit and it’s a great Linux distro does have a learning curve or did for me.

I just like Ubuntu and it’s official flavors although if push come to shove I wouldn’t have a problem going back to Debian and Debian base Linux distos.

For the most all Linux is good imo.

1 Like

The initial post I felt might be really useful for potential users of Lubuntu that find their old hardware a little slow, and want to try some things to make it more useful.

However I’ve watched more & more of this thread go well off-topic, and pondered if the thread should be split into two (one on-topic where it’s about improving Lubuntu on old hardware, and the other being the many posts about non-Lubuntu alternatives).

I’m going to move this thread to off-topic.

4 Likes

I looked at SuSE a while back and the prebuilt package updates were sorely missing. I really need lots of very recent (some daily) builds for various software projects. If I went with SuSE I would be spending 90% of my time building and rebuilding and attempting build automation. I don’t need all that extra work when ppa with some dailies are already available.