22.04 Lubuntu on 10 year old hardware

I just need a web browser and firewall.

Any other software I need I will install when needed.

Ubuntu used to offer a core base only but for some reason decided to get rid of it.

If you’re talking about the MinimalCD, it was never officially supported & produced as a by-product of a no longer used procedure, ie.

Canonical and the Ubuntu project never officially supported the mini.iso ; it was produced as a by-product of building the debian-installer. As the Ubuntu Server image now uses subiquity, the build process that built mini.iso is no longer used, thus why this installation media is now old.

Taken from Installation/MinimalCD - Community Help Wiki

Looking at the history of the page will reveal more details if required given I’m quoting myself

3 Likes

I guess eventually all good things come to an end looks a though that time has come OH well.

Thanks.

People are yelling at canonical for pushing snaps while fedora is doing an identical thing.
People don’t seem to mind when Red Hat does something bad, but if Canonical or any other linux company does even a slight mishap, the community yells and throws a fit. An example is when Suse partnered with Microsoft. Another example is when ubuntu collected hardware info.

Innovation and change are important in the IT world - without them there is no progress. Who knows what we will be doing in 5 years time?!

4 Likes

I could care less what Red Hat does I’m not using Red Hat.
I have every right to complain about what Canonical does as I have donated money to Canonical.

I used to be the one on forums under many different user names that always would be optimistic about Snaps and say give Snaps a chance because Snaps were new and the bugs haven’t been fixed yet.

I ran Ubuntu 21.10 (Impish Indri) on an old desktop with Firefox as a Snap and had no complaints when a lot of others were complaining about Snaps.

Yeah Okay Ubuntu 22.04 and it’s Ubuntu 22.04 official flavors are out.
I’ve installed and used Ubuntu 22.04 and Lubuntu 22.04 Snap version.
Both of them OOTB are sluggish and slow system resource hogs.

At least I actually installed them and tried them on bare metal where a lot of the Snap complainers are just armchair users and complainers.

Okay with that out of the way today being a new day I decided to de- Snap Lubuntu 22.04 and also remove every bit of default software I have no use for.
Installed the Firefox-99.0.1.tar.bz2 as per @BasilCat post.

OH by the way Thanks @BasilCat Firefox works like a charm.
Also since I de-Snapd Lubuntu 22.04 it also works like a charm.

Yeah Okay I complained about the new 22.04 Ubuntu distros and with good reason because they are a POC OOTB from the git-go.

Anyway If I have donated money to a project and I don’t like it you bet I’m going to complain.

I’m not one who is just going to bend over and go with the flow never have been and ain’t about to start now.

So if you ain’t got a high powered newfangled computer with 16 core processor and 32 GB of memory than you better de-Snap the 22.04 Ubuntu’s and 22.04 Ubuntu official flavors.

So it appears that Snaps are a long way from being ready for the user desktop or at least my desktops.

Good day or evening to all depending on what part of the planet earth you call home.

3 Likes

In 5 years I’m pretty sure I’ll be on Debian for my home and still be running RHEL at work though probably up to around RHEL 10.

My employer gives Red Hat millions every year even though we never had to use the support for over two decades, so I like to think I can complain about Red Hat / IBM. Flatpacks / snaps are a business decision and that is fine. Businesses have to make money. What bothers me is Red Hat / IBM dropping CentOS support years before the promised support timeline.

I have not donated a single cent to Canonical and I don’t have anything bad to say about Canonical or their snap related business decisions. I will call a turd a turd and the default 22.04 Ubuntu and official flavors are a VERY BAD user experience due to the firefox snap. Debian is in my near future… likely Debian 12.

1 Like

Oh and back on topic: I did a few more 22.04 Lubuntu performance improvements including the two you suggested.:

1. Disabled qlipper as I only need one cut buffer.
  2. Disabled print applet and removed cups and related packages. I print docs from my wife’s Window’s laptop via home NAS…
  3. Disabled java for LibreOffice (makes huge performance improvement loading )

On a side note I also updated to LXQt 1.1 via the ppa and it works great.

4 Likes

@Bartman you’re welcome! :wink: Canonical should work on improving snaps because not everyone has a high-spec computer in this world. Millions can only afford low-spec devices and many people I’ve met have pc’s with only 4gb of ram.

Am currently looking at openSUSE tumbleweed if this worsens. @thetick why not take a look at OpenSUSE Leap for work?

1 Like

Just for point of reference as someone who condemns both Red Hat and Canonical for their bad practices: my decade old laptop running a mobile dual core i5 and 8GB ram runs current Lubuntu just fine. Snaps do run sluggish but that’s the price we pay for good security. They still run though.

I would like to point out for those forgoing snaps all together in favor of just the regular deb package… you can still setup some extra security after installing Firefox with Ubuntu’s access control solution, AppArmor.

This will not do everything snaps do but it will at least add another layer of security that shouldn’t impact performance. I think a lot of what bogs down snaps is the container creation and sandbox config but AppArmor is simply a way of altering what permissions Firefox gets to run with (i.e. extra security).

For those interested, feel free to check out the following resource:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AppArmor#How_can_I_enable_AppArmor_for_Firefox.3F

3 Likes

How did you get java to stay disabled.

I open Libreoffice and go to tools and open options to uncheck the java box which does uncheck until I click apply and the it rechecks itself.

I’ve even uninstalled Libreoffice and reinstalled Libreoffice and still no joy with disabling java.

True. They are improving some of the restrictions though like native messaging protocol. It is resonable, unlike windows 11 who imposes tpm 2.0 and a cpu requirement. That’s why i came running towards ubuntu and linux in general. I’m fine with whatever canonical, redhat, or suse imposes as long as it has a good reason. Microsoft didn’t have a good reason other than security and that’s why millions of people are now switching to linux.

I sandbox Firefox with Firejail with AppArmor just for that extra layer of security.

I understand the concept of Snaps and the security that Snaps supposedly provide however the demand on system resources is unreal.
If my computer’s hardware were a dual core i5 and 8GB ram Snaps would probably be okay and I wouldn’t be complaining.

Snaps aren’t developed with user experience in mind.
Snaps are developed to make it easier for the developers to maintain.

And no I don’t have a link where I saw that but it has been brought up on the Ubuntu forums quite a bit since the implementation of Snaps.

1 Like

@Bartman you are right about snaps. Even on a core i5 and 8gb of ram, which is what i have, snaps are unbearable, but only on first launch. I’ve noticed that Ubuntu and its flavors are heavier if you leave them with snaps installed. That’s one of the reasons why I’ve removed them.

Though, it wasn’t entirely canonical’s fault that Firefox is now a snap. Blame Mozilla. They want the Firefox experience to be the same across most of the Linux distros they get their fingers on. Similar controversy was in the mix earlier this year when Mozilla signed a partnership with linuxmint.

1 Like

@BasilCat

Agreed.

As soon as the Wife get her new Windows 11 desktop than I’ll have a desktop with a 4 core processor and 16 GB of memory and an ssd.

Once I have that desktop I’ll give the 22.04 Ubuntu and 22.04 Ubuntu official flavors a try as they come OOTB.

I’m not anti-Snap and I do believe that Snaps have there place however for the hardware I’m using Snaps are a painful experience.

1 Like

You are right on snaps being painful for older hardware. In fact, when someone posts in reddit or any other Ubuntu-related forums asking about which Ubuntu flavor would run on old hardware, they would recommend to remove snaps.

I find it bizarre that laptops still have low powered celerons and are being sold with 4gb of ram. I often hear complaints from those people who have windows 10 on them.

Those days where you could run windows fine on 4gb of ram are done and that’s why i like Linux a lot, among other reasons. I have an old atom powered laptop with linuxmint cinnamon and it runs well with just 2gb of ram and a 32gb emmc card.

I hope they will have these problems fixed with 22.10, aka ‘Kinetic Kudu’.

1 Like

The more security that is added does come with a price as mentioned by @That_Random_Guy.
User computers are going to have to be more powerful for a good user experience just ain’t no other way around.

Over the years we’ve seen how browsers have become memory hogs and with all of the security vulnerabilities and threats the added security measures are no different.

So yeah the need for a more powerful computer is a must and besides it’s just cool having a bad A$$ computer.

I’m just a cheap tight A$$ and don’t want to spend the money. :rofl:

2 Likes

Fortunately that is easily countered. The average person can find pc’s with 8gb of ram and 128gb storage online without having to spend a fortune.
@Bartman web browsers are heavier than before. My old lappy with mint can only open a 10 tabs before it grinds to a halt. You can also reduce ram usage by using an adblocker such as ublock origin.

I agree with that sentiment and have argued the same before. I think if anything, AppImage was actually crafted with the user in mind to make things simpler(?) for app distribution across Linux distros.

Red Hat and Canonical only copied the strategy to brand it in their own way (IMO). Their actions did not actually cater to the community’s best interest even though the benefits do exist.

I personally value the security benefit over the performance drop but I’m one of few… of course, I wouldn’t really appreciate it if my PC wouldn’t run it all to begin with. My laptop is old but it’s probably not the oldest of the bunch obviously.

Since this is more something sprung up by Canonical, it would be interesting to see their thoughts on the subject. We’re at their mercy as far as what comes by default (mostly).

Personally, I would consider equipment that’s reached and gone beyond the 10 year point as old. At the end of it all, Canonical will make their own decisions for their software. :face_exhaling:

3 Likes