19.10 Failed to install - (solved)

Installation Failed:
External command finished with errors

Command apt install -y -no-upgrade -o
Acquire::gpgv::Options::=–ignore-time-conflict shim-signed finished with exit code 100. Output:WARNING:

apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts. Reading package lists… Building dependency tree… Reading state information…

Package shim-signed is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsolted, or is only available from another source E: Package ‘shim-signed’ has no installation candidate.

I have looked around on forums for similar problems but can’t seem to find anything quite like this and I’m new to Linux. I made the mistake of thinking things would just work or be easy but they never are with me any help would be most appreciated as I currently have a laptop with no os on.

During the installation, are you connected to the Internet?

Thanks for responce and yes I’m connected to the internet I’ve disabled fast boot I don’t have the option for clean install which was the first concern and through doing a custom install it gets so far before throwing this error back at me.

What do you mean with “option for clean install”?

With “custom install” you mean “Manual partitioning”?

Did you see our installation manual?

And please provide the terminal output from

sudo parted --list
sudo efibootmgr -v

Maybe you have to install efibootmgr first with sudo apt update && sudo apt install efibootmgr

1 Like

Sorry by clean install I mean it gave no option to erase disk and install only manual partitoning . I also did look at the installation manual and made sure it had the necessary partitions for it. One moment I’m just doing what you requested now.

Sudo parted --list gave me:

Warning: The drive descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes. Ignore/ cancel.

Shall I ignore this and proceed anyway.

(Looking for information online I understand I might be able to fix the problem by formatting it in linux however this is the live boot usb I’m using to install Linux with)

Tried again after updating everything you stated failed the first time but worked the second and I’ve tested it everything seems to be working as intended so thank you very much! @apt-ghetto
You’ve saved my laptop from being a very expensive paper weight and or coaster :smiley:
(Not looking forward to next release and any issues I might have there installing but here’s hoping that’s not the case or at the very least the same solution works there.)
Thanks again!

1 Like

The next release will be long-term support. Once you install that, you won’t have to do anything for 5 years. LTS versions are released every 2 years. So, you could upgrade every 2 or 5.

It sounds like you’re dual-booting windows because you said you can’t erase disk. Next time it should be easier because you can just “replace partition.” The only thing that might be easier is if (next time) you create two partitions for Linux. One to mount / (root), and the other to mount /home. If you do it that way, then it’s easier to install a new system while keeping your /home directory as it is. That’s easier than having to restore your home directory after install (but, you should back it up to be safe). The only downside to using two partitions for Linux that way is that you can’t share space without resizing in KDE Partition Manager. If everything is on / (root), then it’s more seamless. I guess there’s a way to put / and /home in LVM and it will manage who gets freespace when needed. But, I’ve never done that.

1 Like

True I was waiting for the LTS release but decided to try this out anyway and no sorry I’m not dual booting windows it just wouldn’t let me erase and install lubuntu by default.

I had to go into manual partitioning and do it that way , still updating everything prior to running installation seemed to fix the problem no idea why it was being picky though as it took two attempts for it to work with that solution.
The joy of computers , still I’m very happy with Lubuntu and didn’t want to give up until it was installed compared to windows 10 it’s like night and day for performance.

I’m also really happy with the fast and helpful responces from the community despite my lack of knowledge and being new so again I’m really grateful!

1 Like

I’m only testing 20.04. I’m not familiar with how 19.10 works. But, I thought “erase disk” was the simplest option. It blows away the partition table, starts fresh with a new one. I don’t know why it wasn’t available to you. Maybe it’s related to the drive-descriptor block-size mismatch you mentioned (reported from gparted command). Maybe the Calamares installer didn’t know how to deal with that.

What can be fun (confidence building) is to buy another drive (if you don’t have one laying around) and install different ways, different distros even. Amazon has a Western Digital “Black” 500gb drive for $29 USD (WD5000LPLX). So, it’s not expensive to have a drive to play with. That can be fun to swap the drive out and experiment with things without any worries that you’ll find yourself without a working computer. (Take photos of your bios screens. Remove your hard drive. Then you’re guaranteed to be able to get back to where you were.).

If you really get into it, keep an eye out for a used laptop. You can get fairly decent/fast laptops for $100-$150. That’s even nicer to be able to play with something while your daily driver is operable.

What machine do you have? Model number? How much memory? (is it two memory sticks or one?).

I’ve tested it with an older Dell lapitude i5, 6gb ram, 500gb , Samsung laptop, i5 4gb ram, 500gb
and the main one I just tried and had issues with was a ASUS E203MA which I got on the cheap with the intention of messing with distros. (All 1 ram stick minus 6gb laptop)

E201NA Intel celeron n3350 ,4gb ram and 64gb emmc but fanless which is nice. I knew people had issues with these types before but it struggled with windows 10 with it being usable but slow mostly due to windows updates using all cpu - ram to 100% in background. In comparison these specs are more than enough with Lubuntu staying around 1-5% cpu on average minus the spikes in opening applications of course.
( I just wanted something that was quiet, light and manage word processing and light web browsing.)

(I’ve worked with computers for awhile but everything I learnt was windows based and once 10 came along forcing me to move from 7 I just hated too many changes so I want to move to Linux ideally on my main pc as well thinking Kubuntu but not sure yet.)

That has a CPU benchmark of 1089. That’s pretty slow compared to a lot of used laptops you can get for $100. My old Toshiba is Celeron N2830 and benchmark 966. It’s slow installing, starting GIMP, etc. (It has 8g of ram. My next laptop is an i3-3217 with a benchmark 1495 (Thinkpad x131e). I got it for $60.).

It sounds like you have the ability to compare how Lubuntu would perform on different machines. If that machine has one 4gb stick, adding a 2nd stick should increase its speed 20-25%. You probably know this, but with one stick you’re single-channel memory. With two sticks, dual channel will give you a noticeable boost. I try to get the exact same memory stick. I’ve never been clear about how close the paired sticks have to be in their specs.

I don’t know how people run Windows on these old machines. That Thinkpad I mentioned came with Win10. That was incredibly slow. Antivirus, firewall. All these things running. Replacing it with any smaller Linux distro was like going back to Win 98 or XP.

1 Like

Your right the default price for that laptop was overpriced considering the cpu’s performance but I got mine for around £60, fanless was my main interest if I’m being honest. My other older laptops are much more capable with gaming as well but are also much bulkier as a result.

The windows 10 comment I completely agree it’s a disgrace that windows 10 performs the way it does, windows 7 had many faults but it was no where near as intrusive or as demanding idle (still not the best though). Windows 10 on budget laptops like this demand patience if they work at all however Lubuntu has saved it :smiley:

I’m very content with the performance as is to be honest I know it doesn’t seem like much but it starts fast, opens firefox/ multiple tabs and word documents at the same time with no lag and shows plenty of cpu and ram to spare.

In comparison the 100% cpu and ram usage was just idle thanks to windows 10 updates in the background, granted once it finished it lowered to around 50-75% but still by the time you opened a browser and a document it crawled to a halt you either did one or the other not both.

Since the laptop is silent, light and manages all this well (on linux) with a medicore screen 1366x768 I find its limitations perfect to focus on light work on the go. I completely agree though it’s worth looking around, recycling old tech but this is perfect for my needs.

Thanks for the responce and here is to keeping weaker or older harder going instead of constantly buying and replacing it every year or two!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.